Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to Multipoint Bridge Deployment

dot1x
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking for some assistance to deploy point to multipoint wireless deployment.

Which APs and antennas would be the best to use?

The maximum distance would be around 600 to 700m.

What things need to be considered for such deployments?
13 Replies 13

Have a look at below design guide and see if that helps you

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/Chapter-8.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,
Thanks for the doc.
Could you please have a look at the attached picture?

Site A is the main site.

If I use 1532E with AIR-ANT5180V-N omnidirectional for Site B and C (each 120m from Site A) LOS.

and AIR-ANT5114P2M-N= for site D (600m from Site A) LOS.

Would these antennas cover the required distance with LOS?

Would I need 2x1532E at site A, 1 for site D and other for sites B and C?

Yes, You have to use two APs at site A, as you planning to get 5GHz on those bridge links. When using single band antenna, you have to use top 2 antenna ports for 5GHz (bottom 2 for 2.4GHz antenna)

Refer below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/b_1532_dg/b_1532_dg_chapter_01.html#concept_4368BAB949554A0B9AD9433679534A74

"The AP 1532E has four antenna ports with N-Type connectors, two at the top of the access point and two at the bottom of the access point. When in Dual band mode, the bottom antenna ports (port 1 and port 2) are used for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Antennas that support multiple bands are called Dual Radiating Element (DRE), they contain dual radiating elements for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band inside the antenna.

When in Single band mode, the bottom antenna ports (port 1 and port 2) are used for 2.4 GHz antennas, and the top ports are for 5 GHz (port 3 and port 4). Antennas that support a single band are Single Radiating Elements (SRE), they contain single radiating elements inside the antenna. The AP 1532I has internal antennas and its internal antennas cannot be configured as part of the Flexible antenna port feature"
HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all helpful responses ***

The 2 antennas I've selected, would they cover the required distance?

The 2 antennas I've selected, would they cover the required distance?

I would think so.

HTH

Rasika

Guess your other post got deleted.

I was going through one of your blogs at:

https://mrncciew.com/2013/01/18/workgroup-bridge-wgb-configurations/

I'm confused between Point to Point Wireless Bridge and Workgroup Bridge.

We have only 1 VLAN running, should I be implementing WGB?

We don't require the Bridge APs to serve the clients, the APs would only be used for bridging the sites.

"I'm confused between Point to Point Wireless Bridge and Workgroup Bridge.

We have only 1 VLAN running, should I be implementing WGB?"

WGB mean you convert AP to operate as a wireless client. In that way wired clients behind WGB can connect to network using that WGB wireless connnectivity.

HTH

Rasika

"WGB mean you convert AP to operate as a wireless client. In that way wired clients behind WGB can connect to network using that WGB wireless connnectivity."

In Point to Point, the wireless bridge carries multiple VLANs, just like a Trunk Port?
So, in my case, I need to configure the bridge links as Wireless Workgroup Bridge, kindly correct me if I'm wrong?

1. Configure site A AP as Root AP with an SSID, say 'Bridge SSID'.
2. Configure remote site APs as Non-Root Bridges and make them connect to 'Bridge SSID'.
3. Connect the Ethernet ports of the remote APs to respective switches on each site.
Makes sense?

"In Point to Point, the wireless bridge carries multiple VLANs, just like a Trunk Port?"

Yes, true.

"So, in my case, I need to configure the bridge links as Wireless Workgroup Bridge, kindly correct me if I'm wrong?

1. Configure site A AP as Root AP with an SSID, say 'Bridge SSID'.
2. Configure remote site APs as Non-Root Bridges and make them connect to 'Bridge SSID'.
3. Connect the Ethernet ports of the remote APs to respective switches on each site.
Makes sense?"

If you want to configue it as a wireless bridge, then you require one end to be "Root Bridge" and other end to "Non Root Bridge"

In WGB mode, since that AP act as a wireless client, you simply require Autonomous AP (in Root Access point mode, not root bridge) or Light Weigth AP to associate with. Typically WGB deployed in mobile environment (folk lifts, mining trucks, CoW - Carts on wheels, etc) where wired devices on those can connect to network using that WGB connectivity.

In that sense I would still use wireless bridge (over WGB) for your requirement, In that way you can expand that solution if you require multiple vlans in future.

Initial part of below post will explain what you require (you can use WPA2-PSK or EAP-FAST for security depending on your requirement). You can use two different SSIDs for two bridges

https://mrncciew.com/2013/11/09/wireless-bridge-with-eap-fast/

If you want try WGB solution for sites B & C, then you need to make 1532 you placed on site A as "Root Access point" (not a root bridge). Then configure Site B & Site C AP as WGB. If it is a single vlan, you do not want to configure any vlan/sub-interfaces. See below post

https://mrncciew.com/2014/01/04/wireless-wired-clients-behind-wgb/

Hope that clarify your queries. If not let me know

HTH

Rasika

Hey Rasika,

Thanks for the links, I'm finalisiing the Bill of Material and then will have a look at the configs.

Going with following:

5x1532E APs

2 x AIR-ANT5114P2M-N= (Each at Site A and Site D)

6 x AIR-ANT5180V-N (2 per sites A, B and C).

Will come up with questions/clarification.

Thanks again.

Since my original response got deleted, I am posting it again.

Yes, you have to use two APs at your site A since you have choosen 5GHz for those radio links. If you using single band antenna top 2  ports (# 3 & 4) used for 5GHz antenna where as bottom two (# 1& 2) used for 2.4GHz antenna.

Refer below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/b_1532_dg/b_1532_dg_chapter_01.html#concept_4368BAB949554A0B9AD9433679534A74

"The AP 1532E has four antenna ports with N-Type connectors, two at the top of the access point and two at the bottom of the access point. When in Dual band mode, the bottom antenna ports (port 1 and port 2) are used for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Antennas that support multiple bands are called Dual Radiating Element (DRE), they contain dual radiating elements for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band inside the antenna.

When in Single band mode, the bottom antenna ports (port 1 and port 2) are used for 2.4 GHz antennas, and the top ports are for 5 GHz (port 3 and port 4). Antennas that support a single band are Single Radiating Elements (SRE), they contain single radiating elements inside the antenna. The AP 1532I has internal antennas and its internal antennas cannot be configured as part of the Flexible antenna port feature."
HTH
Rasika

Hi Rasika,

I was wondering if I could use the Bottom 2 Ports with a Dual Band Directional Antenna AIR-ANT2588P3M-N= to run in 5GHz band, and top 2 Ports with 5GHz Directional Antenna AIR-ANT5114P2M-N=

Is it possible to use the ports in this way?

As per the doc, if we use the bottom 2 ports with Dual Band Antenna, the top ports wouldn't be used.

Other solution I was thinking to use directional antenna in 2.4GHz for site B and another directional antenna in 5 GHz for site C, guess this way both sites won't be sharing the same channels. Would this be a better solution? Your thoughts please.

Any thoughts?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card