cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Inline Issue on AP2802i-E-K9 | Displaying PoE/Medium Power (15.4 W) on the WLC

daskaarismatik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I would like you to support me for my AP which is not getting full power from the switch.

From the WLC PoE Status of the AP, It is showing "PoE/Medium Power (15.4 W)" and the LED is blinking blue, green, red.

The output below is what I am getting from the "show power inline" command

SW-ACC#sh power inline gi2/0/45
Interface Admin Oper Power Device Class Max(Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi2/0/45 auto   on     15.4   Unknown 4     30.0

SW-ACC#sh power inline gi2/0/45 detail
Interface: Gi2/0/45
Inline Power Mode: auto
Operational status: on
Device Detected: yes
Device Type: cisco Unknown
IEEE Class: 4
Discovery mechanism used/configured: Ieee and Cisco
Police: off

Power Allocated
Admin Value: 30.0
Power drawn from the source: 15.4
Power available to the device: 15.4

Actual consumption
Measured at the port: 10.0
Maximum Power drawn by the device since powered on: 11.1

Absent Counter: 0
Over Current Counter: 0
Short Current Counter: 0
Invalid Signature Counter: 0
Power Denied Counter: 0

Power Negotiation Used: CDP
LLDP Power Negotiation --Sent to PD-- --Rcvd from PD--
Power Type: - -
Power Source: - -
Power Priority: - -
Requested Power(W): - -
Allocated Power(W): - -

Four-Pair PoE Supported: No
Spare Pair Power Enabled: No
Four-Pair PD Architecture: N/A

Thanks in advance for your support.

16 Replies 16

kidandconan
Level 1
Level 1

I don't meet your issue before, but the last time I saw the LED is blinking blue, green, red because of power inject, so this problem must relate with low power.

If I meet this problem, I would try to check like below.

1. the wired cable is normal

2. check the switch module and max power, if the switch connect to many AP or IP phone so that power is not enough.

3. chech AP "advanced" -- "power inject" , is there check something.

hehehe,funny...

Hi Kidandconan,

I had checked the cable, it was not the problem but I eventually replaced it with a new cable.

It was working before on the same switch, there were 2 APs connected to it, and many other endpoints(IP Phones, PC, etc).

Users' complain started after the switch were upgraded, it's a C9300 running IOS XE 17.3.3.

On the AP "advanced" -- "power inject" by default nothing is checked, as well on other AP operating normally.

Do you think maybe that there might be an issue with the switch code?  If you reverted back, does the issue go away?  If you tried a different code, does the issue go away?

@daskaarismatik wrote:

Users' complain started after the switch were upgraded, it's a C9300 running IOS XE 17.3.3.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

There was no issue before the upgrade, and I'm not sure if the switch code might be the issue for this case because there's another 2802i AP model currently connected to the same switch and it's working fine.

Why not just RMA the ap then?  I wouldn't spend this my time to try different workarounds that may not work in your case if the issue is with the ap.

-Scott

Swap the working ap with the one that has issues and tell us what happens, what works and what doesn't.

-Scott

I think you should console to check whether the AP can start up normally. If the AP does not start up completely, it will not be able to enter the complete power supply state. From the AP state you provided: "LED is blinking blue, green, red" I think it does not Did not start working properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

Hi Rps-Cheers,

I consoled to the AP to see whether the AP were not having some issue. I could not find anything, the AP were able to ping and join the WLC. I had even reset the AP and started over the configuration, the only particularity I could notice was on the WLC where the PoE Status is "PoE/Medium Power", and onsite the blinking LED colors.

C9300 does have PoE bugs, for example
Power allocation issue in 16.9.x/16.12.x
CSCvt70277
So, I think you can try to enable the ‘debug cdp ...’ command to observe some CDP protocol conditions. Whether it is the AP side or the SW side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Can you try running the below commands on a switch port where access point is connected and see the results :

Switch #test cable-diagnostics tdr interface XXX

Switch # show cable-diagnostics tdr interface XXX

Hi Waqas,

You will find below the output of the "show cable-diagnostics tdr interface gi2/0/45" command:

Interface Speed Local  pair  Pair       length            Remote pair  Pair status
--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi2/0/45 1000M Pair    A    75     +/- 10 meters     Pair B             Normal
                           Pair   B     N/A       N/A                Not                Completed
                           Pair   C     75    +/- 10 meters     Pair D             Normal
                           Pair   D     75    +/- 10 meters     Pair C             Normal

Pair B is an issue.

-Scott

I think now it seems  Cable issue and now do one small activity:

1) on same port connect 1 meter or 1.5 meter ( Any smaller length cable ) and connect the same Ap and see if its showing full power or not.

If its showing full power then u need to check your cable as we can see pair B seems to be faulty.

If you have Fluke cable tester , then run the test from Fluke also

daskaarismatik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

After configuring  another port (gi1/0/45) on the same stack switch and moving the AP onto it, the AP worked well and got full Power.

The PoE issue is from the second Switch Port gi2/0/45, the AP could not work on this particular port even after moving the Patch cable. My issue is resolved now, but could this issue be a  bug on the switch?

Thanks everyone for your support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card