Views
Helpful
Replies

Priming an autonomous AP 2700i ?

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am configuring an autonomous AP 2700i but this an UX one... and I've read it's not possible to prime an autonomous AP but only a lightweight one.

Your advise ? Can I convert it to lightweight, prime it and convert it back to autonomous ?

Thank you.

13 Replies 13

Hi

I understand for Priming the action of tell the AP previously in which WLC it will join. Considering this concept, then, no, you can not Prime autonomous AP.

But, most important here is you to understand the difference of Autonomous AP and lightweight AP. Autonomous AP is meant to work as standalone. They will serve clients without a central point or WLC. Lightweight APs only work if joined in a WLC, there´s way sometimes is interesting to Prime it.

I hope it is clear for you now. Any further question dont hesitate to ask.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hello Flavio,

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand, but I would like to know if that could work if I convert the AP to lightweight, then I configure the AP to join one WLC. And then I convert it back to autonomous, in order to have it primed and 5 GHz radio available.

No man. If you convert from one mode to another, the AP will lost all the config. Even the firmware will be totally different.

What you need to do in your autonomous AP? Activate 5 GHz?

Usually it is active unless someone shut it down.

Ok I got it :)

I just need to configure it, but I noticed the 5 GHz was in scanner mode, and when I want to change it, I got an error saying it was unprimed so I was not able to modify it...

Can you share the output of "show version" please?

Sure, here :

AP#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C2700 Software (AP3G2-K9W7-M), Version 15.3(3)JG1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 11-Dec-17 11:02 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2700 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2700 Boot Loader (AP3G2-BOOT-M) LoaderVersion 15.2(4)JB5m, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

AP1 uptime is 14 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JG1/ap3g2-k9w7-xx.153-3.JG1"
Last reload reason:

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

cisco AIR-AP2702I-UXK9 (PowerPC) processor (revision A0) with 376814K/134656K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCW1950NEVA
PowerPC CPU at 800Mhz, revision number 0x2151
Last reset from power-on
Access Point Type: World Mode
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 802.11 Radios

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:FE:C8:6F:F7:50
Part Number                          : 73-15824-03
PCB Serial Number                    : FOC19495JSW
Top Assembly Part Number             : 068-100395-01
Top Assembly Serial Number           : FCW1950NEVA
Top Revision Number                  : A0
Product/Model Number                 : AIR-AP2702I-UXK9

Configuration register is 0xF

AP1#

Alright. The AP is autonomous.

You can config the radio with the following commands:

conf t

dot11radio 1

station-hole ?

After you type ?  some option must be presented to you. One of then might be Access-point. In your currently situation the option  is scanner.

You can choose a different option depending on what do you need.

Besides that, if you access the AP using web interface an change the same way.

No, it's not working, as I explained you, I got an error saying the AP is a UX one ...

Here is what I got when I want to convert it to root :

AP1(config-if)#station-role root
Error: Station role can be only scanner mode on 5G of universal AP in -UX domain

And the choices I have :

AP1(config-if)#station-role root ?
  access-point  Access point
  ap-only       Bridge root in access point only mode
  bridge        Bridge root (without wireless client)
  fallback      Root AP action if Ethernet port fails
  <cr>

The error you mentioned before was about  to be or not to be Primed.

As per the error you present now the AP is saying that in 5.0 GHz only hole scanner is possible.

But I got it. And now I understood what  the " priming " means here:

" Automatic priming does not work for Autonomous mode APs. Each autonomous mode AP needs to be manually primed."

I never configured an AP like this but I do heard about this and how complicated it is.

You need to perform a manual process:

" For manual priming to work, ensure that the smartphone running Cisco AirProvision and the universal AP need to be on the same WLAN. The smartphone should be in the same subnet as the management interface of the AP, such that you should be able to ping the AP from the smartphone."

You can go through the complete guide of how to handle it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp

I recommend you to carefully read this and try the proposed solution. Looks like there's no easy way to do that.

Again, if you intend to use it as an autonomous AP, you need to fix this as autonomous AP. Convert it to a capwap AP doesn't help you. 

Hello,

I already primed many AP's and this is not so difficult, but I really was wondering if priming was possible on an autonomous AP, but i will forget that idea.

Clients will use 2.4 GHz only.

Thank you for your support,

Lol...your call!

Having the same problem. The application "Cisco AirProvision" refuses to connect to the AP. The app crashes after attempting to connect. Furthermore, the app is able to determine the SSID of the AP, the MAC address of the AP, and the location in the USA. Is there any fix for this? Cisco shows bug ID CSCuy52676 showing problems with this for the 3701, but not for the 2701. However this problem seems to exist for the 2701 which I own, and it's preventing my access to the 5ghz network. 

I attempted to download the Cisco AirProvision software on an android, however the software is not in the playstore. I then decided to go to the playstore via my desktop PC. Upon arriving there I am able to see the android phone via google, and a message is displayed which indicates the software is ineligible for download for the specific android phone. This is looking like an impossible process that forces one to only use NDP via a controller rather than for autonomous setups.

Any fix for this? 

E

I have the exact same problem with an 1850 + Mobility Express and a 2702 that needs to be primed. Impossible.

Realizing this is not for an autonomous system: In my setup with a Mobility Express controller (1850) I was able to fix it by manually entering the following command through the CLI:

(Cisco Controller) show wlan summary
(listing all SSID's with their ID)

(Cisco Controller) config wlan universal-ap-admin enable 16 (16 = the WLAN ID from above)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card