Views
Helpful
Replies

Priming Cisco Universal AP's

cluca_alex
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

Is there any other way to prime Cisco Universal AP's beside using Android and iOS Air Provision app? 

Also, is L2 roaming between AP's configured on the same subnet, enabled by default?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

hajia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you don't want to use IPHONE or Android Phone, then the only option for you is Windows Phone.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp-g.html

And,

L2 Roaming enabled by default.

Thank you hajia for your response. The problem is I only have Android and the Cisco app on Android doesn't work at all. I will of course figure it out, I will borrow a Windows or iOS phone for the time being. 

The reason I have also asked about the L2 roaming is that I have tested it with a phone walking around the enterprise where Cisco AP's are installed, and strangely enough (because I also thought that L2 roaming was to be working with no problems by default) it failed to connect to another AP whose signal was stronger, but stayed with all the means possible to the AP it was connected, which signal was lower and lower...do you have any idea on how to correct this problem?

Thank you,

This could also be your client deciding not to switch. Don't forget, the client has to initialize the roaming (if aggressive load-balancing isn't enabled, which you shouldn't).

Also the both wifi need to have the same SSID and encryption settings configured.

They are on the same Cisco Controller and both have the same SSID and encryption...the only difference between them is their MAC address which I can see through a WiFi monitoring app. 

I also thought that my client on the phone is the problem, but I am also worried that other clients could experience the same problem when walking through the enterprise. I was thinking that maybe the AP's can kick out a client whose signal is very low to give it the chance to reconnect to the nearest AP in the same WLAN.

That is what aggressive load-balancing is for, but typically it causes more problems than anything else.

What you could do instead, disable some of the lower data rates (802.11b, g and a).

See here for details: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/wlc/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.html#pgfId-380239

Please take note of the possible side effects!

The question is, is a not maximum transfer speed actually a problem for your clients or are they typically sitting down for working (which often causes the client to roam, once the signal strength stays stable some seconds).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card