Views
Helpful
Replies

[Question] - Catalyst 9800-CL and Interfaces

LKL4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

Im new in the wireless world and I'm reading docs about the controller Catalyst 9800-CL and I'm facing some doubts, we can see 3 interfaces in the manual, they are:

1- Device Management interface;

2- Wireless Management interface;

3- High Availability Interface (for 2 controllers).

The doc informs that only the interface (wireless management interface) is the L3 interface (no switchport), however, when configuring the interface (device management interface) it is assumed as routed; and this is causing me a lot of doubts, could someone explain to me with details regarding this interfaces, the function of each and the precautions we should take when configuring these interface. I would like to understand the difference between "device management interface" and "wireless management interface".

Thanks for everything and sorry for any "comical" doubt.

2 Replies 2

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

easy translation

the WMI lives on the trunked tenG interface, along with any other defined vlans.  It is the IP that is registered in DNS so the AP's can find it.  AND you CAN do all your device management on it.

the Device Management Interface aka Service Port lives on the g0 .  No AP/SSID traffic no traverses this port. and provides OOB support...  and always is in a different segment than the WMI.  While not required, it is nice to have.

It will ping before the WMI comes alive.

the HA interface, aka RP (redundancy protocol?) port is transparent to the function and be a short jumper between the 2 chassis.

in 17.1 code an additional interface..  RMI or Redundancy Management interface has been defined and also lives on the trunked tenG interface.  and is addressed within the same segment as the WMI.

hope this helps

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interface 2 is really the main one.  This would be used as the management and wireless management like in AireOS.  Interface 1 is only if you have a separate OOB management network.  So basically, management and wireless management can happen on interface 2.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card