cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on settings

westmanm
Level 1
Level 1

Over the weekend I tweeked a bunch of BR350 radios to improve their links. Two of the settings that I found myself playing with were beacon period and bridge spacing. Can you tell me what these two settings do? A high beacon period seems to allow for longer links, is there a down side to using it?

Thanks

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vblavet
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

Beacons are send to allow clients to associate to AP/BR and to roam from an AP/BR to an other. Having a lower beacon period will allow a client to quicker detect a better AP. Changing this in a fixed bridge environment will not change a lot of things.

Bridge spacing will adapt protocol timers in order to support multiple kilometers spaced bridges. 802.11 protocol support specific timers, when having root and non-root bridges separated by more than 1 km you need to give the distance in order to have a better auto-tuning of protocol timers (ack, retries, ...).

There is an other parameter that might be interesting to configure in a fixed environment. This is the timeout of disassociation when a client (the non-root bridge) does not send data to the AP (the root). Putting this parameter to 0 (in root BR radio hardware setting) will keep the non-root associated even if no traffic is seen.

Hope this helps,

Vincent

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

vblavet
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

Beacons are send to allow clients to associate to AP/BR and to roam from an AP/BR to an other. Having a lower beacon period will allow a client to quicker detect a better AP. Changing this in a fixed bridge environment will not change a lot of things.

Bridge spacing will adapt protocol timers in order to support multiple kilometers spaced bridges. 802.11 protocol support specific timers, when having root and non-root bridges separated by more than 1 km you need to give the distance in order to have a better auto-tuning of protocol timers (ack, retries, ...).

There is an other parameter that might be interesting to configure in a fixed environment. This is the timeout of disassociation when a client (the non-root bridge) does not send data to the AP (the root). Putting this parameter to 0 (in root BR radio hardware setting) will keep the non-root associated even if no traffic is seen.

Hope this helps,

Vincent

Great info. Thanks

Hi Vincent,

Where are configured these settings (timeouts, etc). The acks timeout should be changed to increase the distance or there any other parameters in adittion to.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card