Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions regarding WLC 2504 and HA

Small_Potato
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We have got two 2504 WLCs. And we plan to have HA for those WLCs.

As we are not quite familiar with Cisco WLC, please allow us to ask questions here.

For those WLCs, one is with AP licensed while the other just comes with a base license.

Obviously, the AP licensed WLC is going to be the Primary Unit.

From my understanding of 2504, only N+1 "HA" is supported.

My questions are:

1. Does the configuration change on Primary automatically synchronize to the Slave unit?

2. If there is no synchronization, is any workaround suggested?

3. What If my primary unit suffered from physical damage, can the AP license be transferred to the Slave unit?

4. IF the license can not be transferred to the slave, how can the slave work then when it works as a Master unit?

4. Will the AP reboot while managed by the slave unit due to WLC failover happening? Assumed FlexConnect local is used for users data forwarding.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

My Signature: I want to turn all STP off.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Does the configuration change on Primary automatically synchronize to the Slave unit? No

2. If there is no synchronization, is any workaround suggested? Manually by admin or use Cisco Prime Infra to automate synchronization. 

3. What If my primary unit suffered from physical damage, can the AP license be transferred to the Slave unit? You need to open a TAC case with Licensing team. 

4. IF the license can not be transferred to the slave, how can the slave work then when it works as a Master unit? Convert your secondary box to HA SKU, once done you can have the secondary WLC running with 75 AP's up to 90 days. It will even work after 90 days, but will always throw a license error. 

5. Will the AP reboot while managed by the slave unit due to WLC failover happening? Assumed FlexConnect local is used for users data forwarding. AP will not reboot if the both WLC's are running similar AireOS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check this thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/can-we-do-high-availability-in-2504/td-p/2887383

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Does the configuration change on Primary automatically synchronize to the Slave unit? No

2. If there is no synchronization, is any workaround suggested? Manually by admin or use Cisco Prime Infra to automate synchronization. 

3. What If my primary unit suffered from physical damage, can the AP license be transferred to the Slave unit? You need to open a TAC case with Licensing team. 

4. IF the license can not be transferred to the slave, how can the slave work then when it works as a Master unit? Convert your secondary box to HA SKU, once done you can have the secondary WLC running with 75 AP's up to 90 days. It will even work after 90 days, but will always throw a license error. 

5. Will the AP reboot while managed by the slave unit due to WLC failover happening? Assumed FlexConnect local is used for users data forwarding. AP will not reboot if the both WLC's are running similar AireOS.

Amazing.

And I just have a meaningless question then. haha...

Might I know if the 90 days will be renewed on secondary once the new RMA WLC unit gets back to work?

For example, on day one, the Master unit was just dead and the second unit was on production.

30 days after the day, the new Master arrived and resumed the original service.

What is the second unit license status now? Works for 90 days? 90-31 days?

My Signature: I want to turn all STP off.

I haven’t really verified that as I gave up working on 2504 years ago. But I guess that should be the case. Once the primary unit with the licenses are back online it should reset its 90 days timer

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card