cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radios A and G enabled at the same time??

rguzman.plannet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to know what are the implications of getting both radios enabled in the same network? Since I've seen most of the deployments working only on 802.11G but at the same time I have read that 802.11A is "better".

If there is a good document that explains this please post it.

By the way, I also need to get information about SNR suggested levels.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Its hard to get the Document that explains one is better than the  other.. coz if someone tells that.. everyone will move to the better  one!! Kidding..  i mean.. both of them has its own advantages and dis  advantages.. AFAIK there is no problem in using both the Radios in the  Same network.. The clients who are capable of A will connect to it and  rest wil connect to G. if the client is capable of both, then it depends  on the Clients drivers design on what to connect.

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Well, I have seen some presentations where they show A as a better performance, less interference, better througput but less capability to "penetrate" walls and office furniture, and if I am OK on this, it has also less coverage area, better if you have 802.11n enabled (this might another topic because is not the case, this is only AG capable network). In the other hand since G is more used, there are much more devices working in this band therefore more interference sources. In few words I unterstand that A is the "new thing" the "best practice" the "recomendation", charts that show A as the tendency. But I've heard from colegues that is not that good, that if you enable both radios your AP performance decreases, therefore it would be nice to have a comparison between them and the implications of having both working.

I hope I could explain my doubt so that you give me your best suggestion.

Thank you!

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

here are thr few link which i hav regarding the SNR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00805e9a96.shtml#q26

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2055709

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card