Views
Helpful
Replies

rts threshold

l.meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question about best practice about the "rts threshold". The default value of the rts threshold is 2312, so by a mtu of 1500, clients never send a request-to-send, i.e. rts is disabled per default. I have tested it with a ftp download with two clients. With rts enabled the error rate was essentially smaller, but because of the overhead of rts the data rate was the same !!! Did anyone know a best practice value for the rts threshold or. is there any recommendation for this value ?

THX

Larry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have around 30 urban customers scattered over 10 square miles, with the farest customer, 4 miles away. The WPOP is colocated with other 5 AP's of my "competitors" :-(, and the only way to make things work acceptable was to lower the RTS even to 128 or 256, depending by client devices (not all of them are CISCO).

Anyway, in this harsh environment, i can't afford to give more than 128 kbps to each customer. If I let one of them to take more than 512kbps, i can feel bad effects on others, especially to those with not so perfect radio links.

Obviously, the throughput is lower now, but at least i can give to everybody a reliable service.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

This is the general guideline while setting the RTS threshold value "A low RTS Threshold setting can be useful in areas where many client devices are associating with the access point, or in areas where the clients are far apart and can detect only the access point and not each other".

Hi,

thanks for your reply, but that´s well-known me. What I need do know are best practice values from different environments !!!

I have around 30 urban customers scattered over 10 square miles, with the farest customer, 4 miles away. The WPOP is colocated with other 5 AP's of my "competitors" :-(, and the only way to make things work acceptable was to lower the RTS even to 128 or 256, depending by client devices (not all of them are CISCO).

Anyway, in this harsh environment, i can't afford to give more than 128 kbps to each customer. If I let one of them to take more than 512kbps, i can feel bad effects on others, especially to those with not so perfect radio links.

Obviously, the throughput is lower now, but at least i can give to everybody a reliable service.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card