cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary SSID

spencermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone. I'm trying to setup a new SSID for a new VLAN on my controller, but I've run into an issue with DHCP. I'm unable to get any leases; however, if I setup DHCP on the controller as a workaround everything is fine. My controller resides on the 10.55.x.x VLAN and my new VLAN is the 10.1.10.x which we will be using for guests. This 10.1.x.x VLAN has it's own internet connectivity (modem) which will be serving as DHCP as well. Here's what I've done thus far:

1. Created a new dynamic interface with appropriate IP, netmask, gateway and DHCP address.

2. Created a new WLAN and set the "interface group" to my newly created interface.

I do have basic connectivity between my controller and the DHCP/gateway of the 10.1.x.x. network, but I cannot get any IP addresses. I also tried to add a helper address to the 10.55.x.x VLAN pointing towards 10.1.x.x to no avail. 

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll want to turn off DHCP proxy on the WLC. But make sure you have IP helper on your L3 interfaces and that the WLC is not doing dhcp for anything before you do. 

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ok. I disabled proxy mode on my new interface and added a helper address on the switch that my WLC is connected to, but I'm still not getting any addresses. I also temporarily disabled my workaround DHCP scope..

Connect a laptop to the vlan you created for the guest users on the same switch as the WLC. See if the laptop gets an IP address.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just tested this. I get a lease and full connectivity.

So that means that dhcp works at least. Maybe is how you have tagged the vlan on the WLC. looks like that might be your issue. When you had the WLC as the dhcp server, you got an IP address, but did you have connectivity?

-Scott

-Scott

Yes, my WLC is connected to an HP switch so I "tagged" that port with the 10.1.x.x VLAN and DHCP worked when I had the scope enabled on the controller, but when I disable the scope and set proxy to disable I still don't get a lease even though I have a helper address setup on the switch that my WLC connects to.

I do have several dynamic interfaces showing proxy mode set to "global". If those are set to global does that mean the controller will still enable this mode for other interfaces?

When you used the WLC as a dhcp server, were you able to get internet connectivity.  This will tell you if the vlan is passing from the WLC to the HP switch or not. The interface dhcp will override the global setting, but if you have dhcp print disabled and still no dhcp lease, then the vlan tagging isn't working right. 

-Scott

-Scott

I did have internet connectivity when I setup the WLC as a DHCP server. I did disable dhcp proxy on the interface, but I never did on the controller itself. Perhaps that's my problem. I'll try to disable it both on the interface and controller itself next time.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card