Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting an outdoor wireless access point

kumaraw84
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been looking for an autonomous wireless access point for a new deployment.

Can someone recommend one for me ?

I checked the APs on the following URL but could not determine which one to select.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#~outdoor

To summarize, following are my requirements

• outdoor
  • autonomous
  • directional
  • Internal antenna preferred
  • should be able to use for a point to point wireless link

We were using 1310 APs previously but they are end of sale now.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco resells the exalt r5005 bridges which replaced all their point to point bridges.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

If it has to be outdoor there is nothing really but the 1552 and those are not autonomous (ie you will need a controller)

Check options to house APs inside of a shelter and, perhaps, get antennas out. May work for you..

Thanks both for your responses.

Does it mean that CISCO does not have a replacement for 1310 autonomous outdoor access points ?

( except for exalt products )

I must have an autonomous outdoor access point to implement the point to point wireless link

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can put the Autonomous IOS on a 1552 and run that way.  You'll need a CCO login, but you can download this file listed under the 1552 for autonomous deployments:

c1520-k9w7-tar.152-4.JA1.tar

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think the Exalt r5005 will be cheaper than two 1550's. Any point to point, you would rather use a true bridge product.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agreed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card