Views
Helpful
Replies

Single SSID on Multiple VLAN

e-lo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I run a flat network (VLAN 2) with 2 DNS servers, 1 DHCP server, internet gateway and 24 Cisco 1200 AP.

If I want to subnet the AP to multiples VLAN.  What is the best way to do?  How to make all AP go the the same DHCP to lease the IP for the node?

Regards

-EDDY

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I assume that you are planning to seperate the Wireless network in different subnet and need your Wireless clients to grab the ip from Different VLANs right??

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.. and please brief your design and requirements even more..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes, but I don't want to install DHCP server onto every subnet.

Each subnet will have on network IP like 10.254.10.X /16, 10.254.11.X /16...

And the Firewall 10.254.1.1, DHCP server  10.254.1.10 and DNS server 10.254.1.11 will sitting on the original subnet.

Look like I need to config VLAN routing for on each subnet.

Regards

-Eddy

Hi Eddy,

So you need multiple SSIDs mapped to multiple VLANs right?? if so.. Yes you are right!! You need to config VLAN routing for on each subnet.

Here is the document which I have written on the how to configure the AP for Multiple SSIDs with Multiple VLANs..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

I would perfer single SSID for all of AP, when the AP connect to different VLAN, it will lease out different network IP for the user.  Multiple SSID might be make confuse to our user. -Eddy

Do you have ACS server in your network??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

In Autonomous AP infrastructure.. its the thumb rule..

1 SSID : 1 VLAN : 1 Encryption.

We cannot assign multiple VLANs to a single SSID.. however if you have a ACS server or something, then you can implement DYNAMIC VLAN ASSIGNMENT feature.

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card