Views
Helpful
Replies

Site survey for 802.11 b / g site

airlink
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in the planning stages of a in-building wireless implematation for a medium-sized educational campus.

For wireless client access (primarily notebooks, maybe some desktops) we were thinking of recommending an 802.11g infrastructure using Cisco 1230 APs. The 1230 would meet the immediate "b" and "g" radio needs today and would give the institution a migration path the faster "a" standard in the future.

This being said, we have had a fair amount of experience surveying and installing Cisco 802.11b wireless systems in the past. We have been through the Cicsco training courses for surveys, have various 2.4 gHz antennas, battery packs, etc. and are experienced with Cisco's ACU site survey utility.

My question then is this:

Since Cisco describes its "g" radios systems as a "superset" of "b", what considerations or adjustments (if any) will we have to make to our survey procedures / interpretations in order to allow for the differences between the "b" and "g" standards?

Cisco's white paper on coverage shows that signal propagation between the two to be the same, but at different power levels.

My first take on the survey is to do it with 1230 AP's running in mixed mode, but use a notebook with a 350 series "b" radio in it as we run the ACU.

Leaving all the ACU settings as we would nomally have them set for a "b" radio survey with power set at 100mw, we would then map coverage in the normal manner. Our interpretation of the ACU's signal-to-noise ratios would then also follow Cisco's training guidlines for it's legacy "b" radio systems, i.e. fast cell, slow cell, etc.

We would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with thoughts, tips, or any similar actual survey / installaton experiences.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card