Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP v2c on Aironet 1815i

Kasim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community, 

I am working with an Aironet 1815i wireless access point and trying to add an SNMP community (V2c) but running into an issue. 

Its my understanding that you can use up to 32 characters for the name. the snmp community used at my organization is 7 characters. However, when using the GUI to add the snmp community, i get the message "Please use at least 8 characters. You are currently using 7 characters". When trying to create the community in CLI, i get the message "Community name not met strong password requirements and length should be between 8 and 32 characters."

SNMP v3 is disabled and not used. the software version its currently running is 8.10.130.0

Is there some complexity setting that needs to be lowered/turned off before a community name with less than 8 characters is used?

Hopefully someone here has the answer. 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Gaurav Kansal  are you sure that's a Cisco AireOS command? (It looks like Huawei to me)

@Kasim There is a workaround to get around that community name restriction: get a config backup from the WLC (not encrypted) then edit the community name in the backup and then restore the backup.  When the backup is restored the community restriction does not get applied so it will allow the non-compliant community.

You should also update to the latest version 8.10.190.0 as per TAC recommended (link below)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

The community name must meet the requirement of lengths ranging from 8 to 32 characters. You can try by using the 'snmp-agent community complexity-check disable' command. However, to ensure the security of SNMP community name, it is not advisable to disable the complexity check.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. We've been using snmp community with 7 characters on 800 series routers without issue. the snmp-agent command isnt available on the aironet 1815 access point

@Gaurav Kansal  are you sure that's a Cisco AireOS command? (It looks like Huawei to me)

@Kasim There is a workaround to get around that community name restriction: get a config backup from the WLC (not encrypted) then edit the community name in the backup and then restore the backup.  When the backup is restored the community restriction does not get applied so it will allow the non-compliant community.

You should also update to the latest version 8.10.190.0 as per TAC recommended (link below)

Thanks Rich for the input. 

I do plan to upgrade the software. Will see if i can do the backup/restore operation. 

apart from that, I take it there's no other way around it? no CLI commands to run?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card