cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking APs in multi-storey buildings for Mobility?

tdorsey123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

When I set up wireless access points in multiple storey buildings for standard coverage, I stagger them on each floor so they are not on top of one another.  When a customer then wanted to add MSE/Location services, an Aeroscout engineer said it would have been better if I had stacked the APs on each floor for the location services.  So this raised a few questions for me.

1) Should I stack the APs when doing MSE/Location services on multi-floor buildings?

2) How well does the MSE/location services triangulation work vertically in a multi-floor building(Assuming AP location is accurate in WCS)

3) I may be wrong, but I don't think you can account for floor density like you do for walls in WCS?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me start this way.

A survey to design for Accurate Location Tracking, should have/been done. 

that being said, no.  Don't stack your AP, you'll cause yourself more issues in the long run, with devices joining through celing/floor.

WCS does not take into account floor/ceiling density, just the wall densit

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

I will piggy back on Steve's comment. If you do stack (for example in the corners and around the edges of the floors) be sure to put these APs in monitor mode. Or, like Steve convered you could have problems with client romaing.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me start this way.

A survey to design for Accurate Location Tracking, should have/been done. 

that being said, no.  Don't stack your AP, you'll cause yourself more issues in the long run, with devices joining through celing/floor.

WCS does not take into account floor/ceiling density, just the wall densit

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I will piggy back on Steve's comment. If you do stack (for example in the corners and around the edges of the floors) be sure to put these APs in monitor mode. Or, like Steve convered you could have problems with client romaing.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin