cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

stand-by selection events occurring every few minutes

3dmaxer
Level 1
Level 1

Just noticed logs showing repeating stand-by selection messages that seem to be occurring every few minutes as shown below.  All APs are on same switch, AP1 is set to preferred controller and I'm running latest EWC.  Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Jun 14 11:03:13 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_SELECT_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: SELECT event: Candidate AP 'AP3' has been SELECTED as stand-by

Jun 14 11:02:43 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_REMOVE_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: REMOVE event: Standby no longer available. Starting over standby selection (internal AP, selection ENABLED)

Jun 14 10:58:43 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_SELECT_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: SELECT event: Candidate AP 'AP4' has been SELECTED as stand-by

Jun 14 10:58:13 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_REMOVE_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: REMOVE event: Standby no longer available. Starting over standby selection (internal AP, selection ENABLED)

Jun 14 10:54:13 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_SELECT_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: SELECT event: Candidate AP 'AP2' has been SELECTED as stand-by

Jun 14 10:53:43 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_REMOVE_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: REMOVE event: Standby no longer available. Starting over standby selection (internal AP, selection ENABLED)

Jun 14 10:49:43 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_SELECT_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: SELECT event: Candidate AP 'AP3' has been SELECTED as stand-by

Jun 14 10:49:13 EST: %PEER_SELECTION-5-EWC_PEER_SELECTION_REMOVE_EV: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: REMOVE event: Standby no longer available. Starting over standby selection (internal AP, selection ENABLED)

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope the AP not going offline and coming online ?

check the switch port where the AP3 connected ?

if all above ok - what is the code running on EWC, try latest verson and see if this is bug ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

All APs have been up for days and switch ports all show no errors.  I'm on latest version 17.9.5.47.

FYI @3dmaxer  17.9.5 is the current TAC recommended release - it is not the "latest version"!
The latest version (at the moment) is 17.14.1 but that is not an extended support release so shouldn't be used unless it has a feature you need (although I am using it on my home EWC).
You could also try 17.12.3 which is the latest extended support release.

You can set AP priority as per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-9/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_9/ap_priority.html or if you don't want some APs to participate at all then change them to CAPWAP mode as Marce said.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure that the APs which are intended for client use  are in capwap (client)  mode only , usually you will only have 2 EWC capable APs for redundancy. 

- The particular messages are generated with  ..... -5- ....  actually that being a syslog level meaning notice , so not too important.
     Check logs on the switches too where the EWC AP's are connected.
     Make sure that there is  an overall consistent VRRP setup  , meaning that if VRRP is used somewhere else too (which is used by the EWC peers) , that the VRRP  numbers do not conflict .

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card