Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange delays

AZaburdyayev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have WLC 2504(airos 8.5.130 ) with  mix of AP1832 and AP1702I. Clients report sometimes slow performance and lags.

I start test today - sit in direct AP vision and start ping controller and gw. I see same issue. Delay jump from 2ms to 80 -150ms.

2 good pings with 2 ms delay and jump to 150. I test 3 APs - same results. What can be root cause of such issue ?

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Did you test on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, open SSID, wired on the same subnet?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are a lot of reasons this could happen. Most important thing to keep in mind, wireless is a "hub" based network, only one client can send or receive at the same time. All the others must wait (higher latency). To avoid collisions on the same frequency, the APs also honor other sending/receiving APs on the same channel to a certain degree -> more latency. 

There are many more reasons for this to happen, but those are the most common ones.

To avoid them, have the correct signal strength configured on the AP and make sure not to many APs are on the same channels. Then you might also want to consider QoS or AVC, to prefer applications which are latency sensitive. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card