cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Antennae (Non-Diversity)

JASON ANDERSON
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully this is not a dumb question. Customer has a garage and will be using tablet PCs for evals. They would like to have coverage in the garage and up to 100' directly outside the garage. My question is: Can I use two different antennae on the 1200 Series AP, one for the inside and one for the outside?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

Jason,

The answer to your question is no, you cannot separate your antenna's to cover two different areas. The AP, when setup for diversity may or may not transmit and receive over both antennae at the same time so it may seem to work at first, but then you will begin to experience communication issues down the road. I would try using something like a patch antenna to shoot through the garage and out into the parking area, such as a 2012, or just buy two AP's one for the garage and one for outside the garage.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ttuisawau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

Will the two antennaes be connected to the same 1200series AP? If so then you can do this but when diversity left is receiving or sending data the right side will be silent and vice versa. Sort of like a half duplex thing except in two different directions.

Thanks.

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

Jason,

The answer to your question is no, you cannot separate your antenna's to cover two different areas. The AP, when setup for diversity may or may not transmit and receive over both antennae at the same time so it may seem to work at first, but then you will begin to experience communication issues down the road. I would try using something like a patch antenna to shoot through the garage and out into the parking area, such as a 2012, or just buy two AP's one for the garage and one for outside the garage.

Thank you both for your help. That makes sense with the diversity issue. Since this is a pilot, I'll try one antennae mounted in the garage and shape/direct the signal to the area in front as well.

Remove diversity and only use the right side. Connect a two way splitter and then you can connect two antennas. Keep in mine the power will be reduce by 3dB excluding cable and connector losses. This will be an even split if you need less power in one area and more in the other use an RF coupler.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card