cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to assign wIPS profile to Controller (Mac address can not be found)

andy.winford
Level 1
Level 1

Guys and gals, I have been struggling with this one for a couple of days now and need some help.  I am running NCS 1.1.24, and 7.2.110 on both my MSE and WLC.   The WLC is synchronized with the MSE and my NMSP is active.   Anyone ever seen this issue.  I've reinstalled the OVA twice, dumped both the WLC and the MSE and re-added, including re-synchronization.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

6 Replies 6

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Andy: What is the exact issue you have? please copy the error message you get if any and mention when you exactly sees it.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Amjad, here is the error message I am receiving...

Again, both MACs match for the controllers, the controllers are added and known as managed devices to NCS.  They are synchronized to the MSE and they are reachable by NCS and an audit shows identical configurations.

andy.winford
Level 1
Level 1

Still having issues.  I have tried this in different environments and different controllers and still get the same error message.  My concern is that perhaps this is a bug.   When I look at the wIPS profile I created it shows that the profile was applied to the MSE, however not applied to the controller.  When I click on the hyperlink to the MSE(s) Applied To column it opens up the Profile Assignments Details.   In there it gives the MSE Name of my MSE and under controller IP address, it says Unknown.  The footnotes say the Controller IP Addres will be Unknown if the controller is not managed by NCS.  However it is managed and in sync with the MSE.  Under Configure controller, my controller is showing as Reachable Managed and Syncronized.

take a look at the MAC address under the mgmt interface, then look at the mobility group config and see if it is the same, or if it is different.

If they are different, I'd wonder if it was getting the 'mobility mac' vs the 'mgmt mac'.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like where you were going, but nope, they are the same.   Is there a hook within the WLC that defines what NCS is managing it, just in the event that somehow during testing it retained an old NCS install?

Andy

There shouldn't be, as NCS is just an SNMP trap receiver as far as the WLC is concerned.  You coudl try removing the WLC from NCS, and makign sure the WLC has teh SNMP cleared as well.

Then go back in and add the WLC to NCS and see if the issue goes away.

If it doesn't then I'd say a TAC case and have them figure it out.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card