cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to convert Cat 9105 to EWC

robhughes
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to convert a 9105AXI to an EWC, but I don't have ap-type ewc command, which the documentation at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html says is supposed to exist. I have: 

ap-type ?

capwap Switch to CAPWAP AP type
cloud Switch to cloud AP type
mobility-express Switch to Mobility Express AP type

I found one how-to that said to replace the ap-type ewc command with ap-type mobility and then the two tftp URLs, but for 8.9 and below. My 9105 is running "AP image version 8.10.130.0". I tried it anyway, and just get a message about an error in the command. At this point, I'm stuck and waiting on my vendor to process my request to add this and the other 9100s I purchased to my support contract, so asking Cisco directly isn't an option for now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

robhughes
Level 1
Level 1

I was finally able to resolve this by getting the firmware shipped with the EWC package loaded, then running ap-type ewc and following the rest of the  documentation. I was missing the /reload switch from the archive command, which I didn't see in the examples of using the archive command I found.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try  wireless ewc-ap ap shell username <username>
           pass: <password>
           en
           ap-type ewc-ap ....

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Default password is Cisco

wireless ewc-ap ap shell username Cisco
           pass: Cisco
           en
           ap-type ewc-ap ....

robhughes
Level 1
Level 1

I was finally able to resolve this by getting the firmware shipped with the EWC package loaded, then running ap-type ewc and following the rest of the  documentation. I was missing the /reload switch from the archive command, which I didn't see in the examples of using the archive command I found.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

For others reference always best to update to the latest CAPWAP image before trying to convert to EWC.
As Rob discovered the commands have changed between versions.
And also as Rob discovered you must specify /reload or /no-reload before you see the rest of the options for download.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card