cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown device trying to authenticate wirelessly that is failing

Doopzzy
Level 1
Level 1

There is a user in my company that is receiving constant lockout, after investigating there is a device that is using his username to try and authenticate but wrong password to our wireless meraki. We can not locate the device we only have the MAC that is trying to authenticate. The people on premise have tried to locate the device, but no success. I came on here to try and see if anyone has a solution that can be done on our network.

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May you need to Look what AP it is trying to connect then physically need to locate that device and remove it.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Search_Tool

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We do know which AP it is, but the tech in that office can not locate anything with the matching MAC.

this is hard to find, its like some one plannted  a sniff tool, where we dont know.

best to block the MAC address.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a radius server in which you can look at the logs and see which ap that device is associating to?  I have seen this happen when the user has other devices and forgets on has cached credentials.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yeah I should have included that but we do know which AP it is exactly. It most likely is cached credentials, but the user does not know which device it could be. He is a tech so he could have helped other users and accidently stored his.

Can't you just ban that device mac address?

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am with @Scott Fella.  Ban/block the MAC address.  
The wireless device will turn up eventually.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Like others have said, utilise block mac address to prevent the device authenticating and locking the user out.

As to help with what device it is put the mac address into https://macvendors.com/ it will give you some idea of the manufacturer of the device.

After a couple weeks, unblock the device if it keeps happening from that mac address at least you know its connected to a power source.

If you have access to NetAllys Aircheck, you could use the find device tool to find the device. 

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card