cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User cannot get ip address after connected to ssid

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, AP 3802i joined to Catalyst 9800. but user cannot get ip address after connected to ssid. Users can get ip address from the same dhcp server via cable. DHCP relay is configured in the WLC based on cisco document below. Did I miss some step? 

Thank you

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/dhcp-for-wlans.html

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this a new setup and what type of controller?  Is the ap in local mode or flexconnect?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott for your reply. Its a new setup and the wlc is Catalyst 9800-CL. and ap is in local mode.

Okay... so the ap'a are connected fine, did you validate the policy profile and add the vlans to the 9800?  If your plan is to implement local in production, that is fine, but if you plan to implement flexconnect in production, then you should go that route initially.  I typically would not implement local switching with a VM.

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Bengaluru 17.5.x - FlexConnect [Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers] - Cisco

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella any reason why not implement local switching with a VM?

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213945-understand-flexconnect-on-9800-wireless.html

Note: In Flex Connect APs with locally switched WLANs, the traffic is switched at the AP and the DHCP requests from the client will go into the wired network via the AP interface directly. The AP does not have any SVI in the client subnet so it is not able to do DHCP proxy, and thus, the DHCP relay configuration (DHCP Server IP Address), in the Policy Profile > Advanced tab, has no meaning for locally switched WLANs. In these scenarios, the switchport needs to allow the client VLAN and then, if the DHCP server is in a different VLAN, you need the IP helper configured in the client SVI/default gateway so that it knows where to send the DHCP request from the client.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card