cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 1562 for wireless bridges

jeffkushner
Level 1
Level 1

I have a point to multi point bridge currently being serviced by 1400 series bridges. I need to replace them and I am planning on using the 1562 series AP. The distance between the main building and the remoted buildings is 1700 feet. I measure the signal from the 1400 and it is in the mid -60s. I tested a 1562D and the signal was -75 to -80. I tried a 1562E with an AIR-ANT5114 and I get -72 to -80. Will this be good enough and provide sufficient throughput? It seems to be a weaker signal than I would like. Is there a better AP and antenna combination? The remote buildings are 3 of them and the APs for them would be about 150 feet apart. 

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That doesn’t seem right especially if you have line of sight. Make sure your settings for the link is setup right. Like power and channel.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I set up the 1562s with Mobility Express and set the power level to 1 and the antenna gain to 28. It was mounted to a 25 foot pole. It was clear line of sight. And we went to the other end and measured the signal strength with a Fluke meter. It seemed odd to me too. I expected better results. Have others used this or a similar configuration at the 1500 to 2000 foot distance and gotten good results? 

I have done my share of mesh deployments and that isn’t right. Maybe you are comparing 2.4ghz backhaul vs 5ghz, but with that overall TX, it should be better.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I'm with Scott.  AIR-ANT5114 antenna and the RSSI is -72 dBm?  That does not sound right.

What radio are you reading this on?  AIR-ANT5114 is only 5.0 Ghz.  

That is why I was surprised myself. Yes that is on the 5Ghz. When I tested the same distance using the 1562D we got around the mid -50s for the 2.4Ghz and around -80 for the 5Ghz. It seems odd to me. I can test again to verify. If these are to be dedicated to be only used as bridges, can I use the 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz for the bridge?

@jeffkushner wrote:

can I use the 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz for the bridge?

If you have the right antenna, you can.  But AIR-ANT5114 is only 5.0 Ghz.  

Have you used these devices for bridges at that kind of distance, approximately 1700 feet? I used to do many bridges with the 1400's and never had an issue. It is my first time utilizing the 1562s and want to make sure I will get decent throughput. Or is there something else you would recommend?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card