Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 3502P with the WLC 5508 in a different Vlan/network

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would need your recomendations for the best solution given the hardware I have. We have big network which is divided into to seperate network through a VLAN ( vlan 203 and vlan 235). Please see diagram for reference. A WLC (AIR-CT5508-25-K9) with HA (AIR-CT5508-HA-K9) is on the vlan 203 connected to the 6500 core switch. On the other network which is on the vlan 235, 2 4500's are there but there is no controller there. We have AP (

AIR-CAP3502P-E-K9).

My question is, How will we connect the AP in the Vlan 235 to connect to the WLC which is on the VLAN 203. Both sites ( Network A and Network B) are connected through a routing protocol EIGRP.

Can we use H-REAP? is it supported with the AIR-CAP3502P-E-K9? Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is actually a large warehouse/factory type of environment, so it serves the purpose.

Antennas and appropriate cabels were also purchsed.

In this case where they are 2 separate networks or VLANs, HREAP seems like the only way to go as hardware has already been purchsed.

for the 2x 5508 to be redundant, they need to be on the same VLAN.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Talal,

Yes you can use Flexconnect/HREAP to connect your remote office which is in vlan 235.

H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/71250-h-reap-design-deploy.html

H-REAP Modes of Operation Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/81680-hreap-modes.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/112042-technote-product-00.html

yes as per these posts 3500 series AP supports flexconnect.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks but in those links it says it supports on 3500i and 3500e and in the last link it says it supports on 3550. I cant seem to find any link where it says it supports 3500p. Slightly confusing here.

HI Talal,

3502P supports Flexconnect.

Right now i did not find the documentation from cisco.Will provide you sson.

Regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can change the mode, but it's probably not in any FlexConnect documentation because TAC doesn't support it. These AP's have special antennas for high density and really doesn't make sense to deploy in FlexConnect.

Open a TAC case or ask your local Cisco SE for confirmation.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So your saying that flexconnect can be used in the 3502p right? We have already purchased these AP's so we have no choice but to go for the flexconnect design as we have 2 diff networks and one WLC with HA which can be placed on 1 network. The other network has to connect through the WAN.

Yes, Its supported. Yes you need WAN connection to connect your remote branch to HQ.

Regards

Sorry its actually one network split into two via Vlans which communicate through EIGRP. so I dont think its a WAN. Is flexconnect still supported between 2 vlans of the same network divided by a routing protocol EIGRP?

HI Talal,

I am not good at routing and swicthing but can you paste your topology??

How far is this location from HQ ???

Regards

The diagram is attached in this discussion group. The location is less than 500 meters from the HQ.

its less than 500 meters away and directly connected through fiber cable. So no router involved. just between 6500 switch and 4500 switch which is a layer 3 Switch.

HI Talal,

As per this topology, I think you do not need to implement with flexconnect because If i am correct then both switch are connected with fibers right??

You just have to allows required wlans on both swicthes amd link as trunk and allowed only req vlans.

You can connect WLC to core switch and put your ALL AP in same subnet as WLC.

AP: Port must be configured as access

WLC: As trunk

After AP connection to WLC , you can create AP groups and assign specific wlan to specific AP.

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

Thats a good solution making the connection a trunk link and putting all AP's in the same subnet. But the problem is the connection between the 2 switches is an access port connection and is using routing protocol. I had suggested before that why not make it a trunk? but the client will not allow to change that.

So we have to get the AP accross the Vlan through the routing protocl to the WLC on the other vlan. Need a solution to work around that scenario.

Hi Talal,

This is really a strange requirment from your client.

I can suggest only these options:

1. Either buy a 2504 WLC or 5508(As per ur reqirement) and put in other location so that both will be in totally seperated wlan.(In this method you need wlc at both location)

2. Use trunk port between switches(between both location) and connect AP in same subnet as WLC.In this method only one wlc is needed.

May be other experts have a better solution for this kind of situation.

Regards

If you purchased those, then you need to purchase the antennas for those AP's... these are special AP's designed for stadiums/arena/large venues.... if this is not the purpose, then you need to return them.  You must of ordered the wrong model number.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card