Views
Helpful
Replies

Using AP1852 ME AP as Secondary Controller

Arshi Jamal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have deployed a WLAN solution using AIR-CT3504 controller and 20+ AP1832 and 5+ AP1852 Access points. The network is configured successfully and working perfectly fine. Now I want to use 1 x AP182 Mobility Express Access Point (which I already has) as Secondary Controller on the network. I configured all the APs, joined CT-3504 controller (Wireless>All APs>AP Name>High Availability)with CT-3504 as Primary Controller and AP1852 as Secondary Controller. Now I have two question, if anyone can help me...

1. Will this configuration work? Means if Primary controller fails, will AP join secondary controller? Also if they join secondary controller, from where APs will get WLAN (SSID) information?

2. The AP on AP1852 is joining ME controller on same AP. I have configured "primary-base" and "secondary-base" on AP. It also send capwap join request to primary controller but get refusal and than it joins the secondary controller.

Please help me in resolution of this issue

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No... high availability as defined in the documentation for N+1 is the same family of controllers on the same code. AireOS and Mobility Express are different. Also in the documentation for Mobility Express, it will state that you should have no other controller in which the ap might join.
High availability is best if you get another controller running the same code either in N+1 or SSO.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No... high availability as defined in the documentation for N+1 is the same family of controllers on the same code. AireOS and Mobility Express are different. Also in the documentation for Mobility Express, it will state that you should have no other controller in which the ap might join.
High availability is best if you get another controller running the same code either in N+1 or SSO.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Arshi Jamal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Scott, Thanks for your time to review my post and suggestions.

With all your APs being 18xx, I would buy two (or three) new Catalyst 9120 and run the Embedded Wireless Controller on them. That should be less expensive than buying a spare 3504 which is also of the legacy generation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card