cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying the power in watts drawn by a lightweight or an autonomous Access point

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts,

Is there any means to get the power that an Access Point is drawing from the switch?

Rather than Full power if there are means to obtain the exact power that would serve my purpose.

Running into a situation wherein IW3700 as light weight and autonomous APs are drawing power from an IE1000 switch.

While they operate as expected with their radios up and so i assume they get full power but when verified from switch it says the power delivered is only 7.5 watts- which certainly may not be the case for a fully operational AP.

So wanting the see the option of exact power consumed on an AP rather than just reflection of 'Full Power'

PoE status.PNG

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the AP Data Sheet.

Hi Leo,

Thank for your reply.

The concern here is not on the power that an AP would require, rather the query is the power that an AP is currently drawing from the switch.

In my case the switch says it provides 7.5 Watts, which certainly is not the case as with 7.5 watts even the AP radio will not come up.
So i am looking for means to obtain the power drawn by an Access Point while in operation.

The AP does not have a USB port so power drawn and power required are the same. 

I have lower power readings from my Meraki switch than my Cisco switch. If the ap shows full power, then don’t worry about what you see.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use #debug ilpower cdp from the switch and that will show you the power consumption for that AP port

Also, use this doc as a reference: Troubleshooting Power over Ethernet (PoE)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1019289

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card