Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs / WIFI

Hi all,

I am re-configuring a network on a Cisco Switch, and to reduce broadcasting issues and increasing security am planning to create an improved Vlan system. Do you have any recommendations on how to use/implement Vlans? Also is it "ideal" to have a Vlan for all the AP?

And how better to manage Vlans and the multiple wifi networks? is it "ideal" to have for each Vlan a corresponding wifi network? (eg Vlan/management > Wifi/management --- etc)

thank you!

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Details will depend on the chosen wireless solution, normally you will have a wireless controller to manage access points , you don't have a vlan for each ap. Keeping it simple for the moment : All APs will use a(separate) vlan to communicate with the controller through capwap protocol (single tunnel for all access points) .  An SSID/WLAN can be mapped to a vlan (for each SSID ) , indeed.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

What about reducing broadcast to the WLAN using features such as ARP caching at AP level on the C9800?

But check this is working fine as if you use Cisco MEraki MX (not sure if also MS) to connect the APs to then you will have issues with ARP caching.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card