cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMware WLAN Controler C9800-CL-K9 licensing

maweigel
Level 1
Level 1

How is the VMware version of the 9800 controller licensed?

I only found one part number: C9800-CL-K9.

That is a 0 USD item in the GPL.

Does this mean the C9800 VMware controller is free???

Or do i need additional access licenses??? Which ones?

Best Regards

Matthias

5 Replies 5

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

C9800 uses smart licensing. The contoller/VM dont need a licens but you need licenses for all APs you want to connect to the Controller.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/smart-licensing.html

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Hi Jonas,

can you please give more details on the per AP licenses:

Is C9800-CL usage covered by these:

AIR-DNA-A-xx Aironet CISCO DNA Advantage Term Licenses

AIR-DNA-E-xx Aironet DNA Essentials Term Licenses

Best Regards

Matthis

Hi,

Yes, if you have those licenses for your APs in your smart portal the c9800 will use those to manage the APs.

You need one Essential license for each AP and one Advanced license for all APs that you want to use features included in the advanced license.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

From what I gathered you have to buy AP's with at least a 3 year subscription of DNA essentials or DNA advantage if you want the extra visibility features.
With those licenses also come a network essentials or network advantage license for your device that does not expire.  Those network licenses contain the AP license needed for your controller.

Then you have the choice of your AP simply calling home and using the number of licenses on your portal according to the number of AP's joined.  Or you could have a reservation system, so the WLC imports the number of licenses you think will be necessary for your AP's.

I also think you have to configure your WLC to use the DNA license or the network license essentials/advantage.

For C9800-CL-K9   HA setup , do i need two ECMU contract or one is fine ? 

Do i need DNA-A for HA/SSO mode od DNA-E is fine?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card