Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS and WISM

Stan Volansky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

we are experiencing issue with WISM module in our VSS scenario. Here is the info regarding this situation:

We have two 6500 switches in VSS, one WISM module in primary switch. WISM controller 1 has around 60 APs assigned. Controller 2 has 0 APs, it is used only as a backup. Both controllers are int Oper-UP status. The thing is that since we have implemented VSS, our SNMP monitoring tool shows that controller 2 is down. However, everything looks ok in "show" outputs on the box. There is no message in VSS logs saying that controller 2 changed its status to down.WISM SW version is 7.0.98.0.

Is there a reason why this second controller shuts itself as it has no APs assigned? Or what else could cause this issue, please?

Many thanks!

Regards,

Stan

14 Replies 14

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stan,

Here are the answers for your questions..

Q1>> Is there a reason why this second controller shuts itself as it has no  APs assigned?

ANS - NO.. this will not shut the second WLC.

Q2>> what else could cause this issue, please?

ANS - Apart from the show output, what is the poing test say?? are we able t oping the Second WLC from all the devices?? or is it failing??

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

thnanks for your info.

Pings are working fine.

However we've just discovered that there are "control/data path to mobility member is down/up" messages in WISM controller 2 traplog.Looks like these paths are going up and down. Any clue why is this happening ?

Many thanks!

Regards,

Stan

Hi,

So the WLC is not down its the mobility which is down.. whats exactly down?? Control path or Data path??

Please use the below link to further troubleshoot and is possible please reconfigure the mobility group again and see (addning the MAC address and the Ip address by removing the old one)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.0/configuration/guide/c40mobil.html#wp1090318

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

both control and data path are flapping up and down.

Regards,

Stan

Hi,

can you please help me with the IP and MAC addresses for mobility groups? Should I use management or service IP/MAC addresses ??

In other words, should I used IP and MAC that are shown in "sh int detailed management" on the controllers ??

Many thanks!

Regards,

Stan

Yes.. its MAC address of the Management and the ip of the management interface..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

we tried to remove and add mobility group members with Management MAC. Unfortunately the control path went immediatelly down with this address. Now am really confused. The default state of mobility group is that there is one member (local). IP address of this member is IP of the management interface but MAC is not from this int. It is the burned-in one.

But when I add new member and use these information, it starts flapping up and down (control and data patth).

Regards,

Stan

Hi,

one question. Does the mobility group make even sense in this type of scenario (1st controller of WISM has all APs assigned, 2nd controller has zero APs assigned....only primary/backup scenario)?

Thanks!

Regards,

Stan

Yes it does matter for the High availability... and add the MAC addres from the inventory.. and make sure the MAC is ending with 0 in the end..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

thanks for the info.

Just want to ask if I can remove the whole mobility group and configure the new one and what impact it will have on the associated APs ?

Am starting to think that VSS can be the problem here. Customer said that this flapping was no issue before upgrade to VSS. But as I checked the VSS config it looks fine.

Regards,

Stan

Hi,

Just want to ask if I can remove the whole mobility group and configure  the new one and what impact it will have on the associated APs ?

>> No problem.. you can remove and reconfigure the same.. but make sure we do not ahve any Anchor and Foreign WLAN setup for any WLANs.. make sure if you configure on one, then the other needs the same config as well

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

so we've just reconfigured mobility group members (remove/add). They are both UP under "sh mobility sum" output. mping and eping works also fine from both ends. Now the question is if this status is going to be stable...

Stan

Hi Stan,

It stays til we have the connectivity up and running.. i have not seen any problem with flapping Mobility..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it stareted to flap again (data and control path of second controller) after 5 hours. After cca 5 min it went back up... then down again after 2 hours... and on and on.

Regards,

Stan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card