Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP fails through BR1310 bridges

sorvarit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We use in the core a C6513 as VTP server. Several 2950 and 35xx switches are connected with fiber or copper to this and VTP works fine.

Have a BR1310 connected to a 2950 (linked via copper to the 6513) that is a wireless link to remote buildings were we have other BR1310 (role workgroup-bridge). These bridges are hooked up to C2950s. Have newly discovered that VTP information dont pass through the wireless links. Had the switches configured in the core net earlier before removing them. But discovered that newly added vlans were not updated on the remote switches.

BR1310 have same native vlans as the switches and runs ios 12.3(4)JA. Needed client vlans are created on the bridges as well.

On the switchports the configuration is like this:

switchport trunk native vlan 999

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

Im i missing out something?

Orjan

6 Replies 6

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

Check out whether they are in the same VTP domain.

and the VTP password are same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

I am having the same problem. i was able to create a new VTp domain for the switches behind the bridge, but thats not the end result i hoped for. is it even possible to pass VTP traffic accross the Bridged link.

Im almost 100% sure password and domain are the same, because i removed my newest remote switch into a trunk in the wired network and voila! All information for VTP and VLAN information were loaded into the C2950.

Orjan

Did you ever get a resolution to this??

MJonkers
Level 1
Level 1

Is there only one switch vtp server? Is the c2950 configured as vtp client

Otherwise you have a configuration revision number on the c2950 that is higher then the switch which is server.

With the sh vtp status you will see the number. You can reset it, see this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml#reset

Marc

mikraus
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should have a fixed version but, do note: CSCeg12593.

To test to make for some reason this isn't biting you, you could change the native vlan on both ends to 1.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card