Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS 6.0 Access Point groups

David Bell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I am currently running with code WCS wityh 10 4404 controllers across 3 sites.

I am currently at code level 4.2.207, and actively employ Wireless VLAN Override.

I understand that when I upgrade to code 6.0.202.0,  that Wirelss VLAN Override is not available, and that I would need to configure Access Point groups.

I can configure the groups, however I note a caution from: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

Note: AP groups do not allow multicast roaming across group boundaries. AP groups allow APs on the same controller to map the same WLAN (SSID) to different VLANs. If a client roams between APs in different groups, the multicast session does not function properly because this is currently not supported. Currently, the WLC forwards multicast only for the VLAN configured on the WLAN and does not take into consideration VLANs configured in AP groups.

I'm wondering if anybody has come across this? We use Vocera here across all our sites, and Wireless VLAN Override works a treat, however I'm concerned I may come across problems with a roaming Vocera badge andAccess Point Groups - in that the badge may lose connectivity?

Would appreciate any advice / experience.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very good question. As I read it, it means that the multicast is not supported if you move to another AP group which is bound to another vlan/interface.

It is not your case, you will be using AP groups just to set which SSID is broadcasted or not, so logically changing AP group will not change vlan/interface for you.

But I can't guarantee it as I never tested.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very good question. As I read it, it means that the multicast is not supported if you move to another AP group which is bound to another vlan/interface.

It is not your case, you will be using AP groups just to set which SSID is broadcasted or not, so logically changing AP group will not change vlan/interface for you.

But I can't guarantee it as I never tested.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card