cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the procedure to enable WLC Capabilities in C9115 wap?

Braulio_g
Level 1
Level 1

A customer have purchased  W AP C9115 AEX  B   with WLC capabilities, but when we turn on the device   the access point have the lightweight ios, and is looking for a controller only,  i have look in cisco ios download  but i didn't found any WLC controller ios or Autonomous AP ios.

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Catalyst 91XX AP do not support Mobility Express.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The data sheet states that Mobility Express will be available at a later time.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That model is EXTREMELY new, like released one day ago, if it's already been released.

It seems the new Mobility Express software (it has a new name, but I don't remember it) has not yet been released. It is now mentioned in the datasheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html?oid=otren016598 (search word: Available with optional embedded wireless controller)

You have now probably two choices, contact the reseller to provide you with the correct image or wait some days until Cisco has released it in the Download portal.

BTW. the new models will have a new product code, I think WAP-C9115-AEX-B-K9C (notice the C at the end, that means a Controller image).

maryush
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello there,
I have the same problem with C9115AXI-E revision B0 that has been bought in December.
The LEDs alternating between Green and Red (= Discovery/join process in progress)
When you have news about that issue please notify me.

Best regards,
maryush

Please provide more information on your setup.
-Scott

So far there isn't a Controller image released, but you might want to subscribe to this download link:
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322348/type

Thank you for information.
When I bought the C9115 WAP it doesn't clear that we need to subscribe another contract for Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst 9100 Access Points (or eWC for short).
I am so disappointed about CISCO lack of transparency ...

Best regards and thanks again.

On the old models you didn't need another contract, but I don't know if this has changed with the new ones.

The issue now is, the eWC software image has not yet been released. So if you ordered/received one without the eWC image (order number lacking a C after the K9), then you probably just need to wait, or order the correct model.

Again, I don't know if they now have a different pricing/contract, but in the past (x800 series) that wasn't the case. They both (K9 and K9C) cost the same and you could interchange the image for free, once it was released on the download portal.

When I try to download an image WIRELESS LAN LWAPP Release 15.3.3-JK, the message is; provide a service Contract .. see image

See here the complete reference CISCO Catalyst 9115AXI-E, SN: FCW2336Q3HP.
And the response from the retailer is to buy an additional "Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service - 1 year SeWC_requireServiceContract.jpg

A contract is always required to have the ability to download images from CCO. Talk to the supplier whom you purchased the hardware from and see if they can provide the image you want. If the Mobility Express eWLC image is not available, you will have to wait until they release that. Your supplier should of been able to help you decide on a product.
-Scott

Yes, you are right, in order to update & upgrade software we need to subscribe license Cisco SMARTnet Software Support Service (Ref Cisco : CON-ECMU-SMS-1) and it seems that also another license is needed Cisco Digital Network Architecture Essentials - Term License (3 ans) (Ref Cisco : AIR-DNA-E-3Y)

Maryush.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card