cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which antenna best for short range directional A bridge?

mx
Level 1
Level 1

I need to put together a solution for a client that will be using an A bridge for a very short distance (500 feet or less) between two buildings. Security is a concern, so I would like the antennas to be directional, and not omni. Am I able to use a 2410Y-R Yagi or something other than the recommended bridge antennas? The recommended bridge antennas are all either 360 degrees or super long distance.

How about the 1949 bridge antenna with very low power output?

Thank you for any tips.

bob

3 Replies 3

jcornford
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not familiar with 2410Y-R as a term, or part number. Where did you see it?

When you say A bridges, I guess you mean 802.11a bridges, which in Cisco's case would be 1400 series. Using a different Antenna (i.e. not a Cisco part) might be tricky, because you'll need to make sure you've got the right connector on the end. This leads me to the next point. If you are talking about 802.11a bridges (i.e. the 1400) I think these have N type connectors (correct me if I'm wrong), so be careful. Cisco only seem to have a couple of antennas available for this. They can be seen on this URL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/prod_technical_reference09186a0080184933.html

You could look elsewhere for some 5.8Ghz antennas but make sure they have N type connectors, unless you want to chop and crimp them yourself (which I don't recommend unless your really good at crimping, I've seen it done very badly before).

I ought to point out that fine tuning your RF power output shouldn't really be considered a security measure (its been said elsewhere), but there is something to be said for not throwing your signal all over the place unnecessarily. Having said that, if you turn it down too much you might get an unreliable link. Security should be handled by something else if it's a concern. i.e. by encryption (WEP+perhaps VPN/3DES), some kind of fire walling or access control and maybe strong authentication.

the 2410Y-R is a cisco antenna. Its a B/G antenna so I know I cant use it, but it was just an example. And yes, the 1400 bridge is what I had in mind, I should have specified, I apologize.

Basically what Im looking for is a 1400 at each end, but was looking for a short range very narrow beam antenna.

Oh yes. Found it now. Cisco keep sneaking out parts I keep missing!

Anyway, what I mentioned before still stands I think. You need an antenna with an N type connector suitable for 5.8ghz. Cisco only have 3 available, of which the most suitable for you is I think the AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N. Beyond that if you want something more specific, you'd have to buy it outside of Cisco. If you did, Cisco probably wouldn't support your installation (or maybe they would?). Just have a look around the high frequency antenna suppliers wherever you are (somewhere in the US I guess).

What I said about security is still valid too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card