cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why 3800s do not support Spectrum Expert? What's the logic behind it?

Is anyone aware why latest Cisco APs do not support SE-Connect anymore? I can't find any information about this.

I wanted to connect to a 3800 AP (newly deployed) with Spectrum Expert software but realized it doesn't work anymore... and I can't swipe through spectrum remotely. Who was that 'genius' who decided this feature is not required anymore? Anyone from Cisco to comment on this and provide some feedback (why?!)

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Ben Duff
Level 1
Level 1

We too have this query, is this something that can be enabled, we have 2800/3800 access points, we can do it with our 3700's.

Thanks
Ben

Looks like 8.5 supports it, http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85.html#spectrum-expert haven't tried it yet.

@Ben, I did test it and it works, however at this moment I would consider 8.5 as "beta" code and wait at least for the first MR1 release before even considering it to run into production.

Note: Spectrum Expert (4.1.11) does not have a specific option to select the dual-band / XOR radio. When you use the dual-band / XOR radio as second 802.11a/n/ac, you have to select the "b/g/n" radio in the application to be able to look at that data.

@Tymofii, the 2800/3800 series access-points run a totally new operating system compared to all previous type access-points. This means that all features have to been ported or rewritten which takes time. Other examples of missing features on these access-points are wired authentication (dot1x), WGB and mesh.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Has anyone had any type of direct feedback from Cisco Dev if they are going to "port" over the missing features...

I've been "pinging" our Inside Cisco Sales Rep and he is not coming up with any answers.

WGB and Mesh support are hugely missed on these new APs (for my Org). To the point that I'm actually looking at other Manufacturer's.

Based on the release notes of 8.8 it should arrive in a future version (and parts are already there):
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn88.html#whats-new

And here is it nearly a year later and still not in any version and doesn't even look like it's on the RoadMap for 8.9...

GoodBye Cisco.  It's been a nice run. But, taking away features on new hardware is not the direction I'm looking for...

I now have 60 3802P AP's that replaced 3702's that can't do something the older AP's could.

When I purchased the 3802's, it was with word from Dev and Sales that the Mesh feature would be added.

I suggest you ask again your Cisco Sales if he has any date regarding the feature. Maybe it comes with 8.10, but I couldn't find any public information.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card