cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi for gaming platforms

Bertrand Vabre
Level 1
Level 1

I manage Wi-Fi  on a college campus, and we have implemented 802.1x with RADIUS authentication running on a Windows server, and that works well. The issue is that the college is looking at removing wired connections in the dorms in favor of just deploying wireless, and the gaming consoles (Xbox, PS3, etc. ) cannot support 802.1x. We use Cisco 5508 Wireless LAN controllers with 1142 and 3602 APs.

I would like to enable MAC address authentication for these gaming  consoles, wherein we (IT) would enter the MAC address of the console for a single connection and allow that console to connect to Wi-Fi, but I do not want to use WEP or any other TKIP passwords, because once the students would know the password they would use WEP/WPA instead of  authenticating through RADIUS for their PC/tablet connections. .

Can that be done?

2 Replies 2

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Yep! You can enter the MAC Addresses yourselves, or more realistically,, you can use the MyDevices portal in ISE and then students can add their own MAC Addresses. With this feature, you as a Service Provider don't have to do any work, but you still get to know which user owns which MAC Addresses by integrating the portal's authentication with AD. You can even tie this in with ISEs device profiling technology so you can work out that something is an iPad, laptop, Xbox, whatever, and then assign the device to the necessary VLAN, ACL, QoS, Rate Limit, etc..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you can do this with the help of ISE. If you need to support BYOD work practices,  or provide more secure access to your data center resources, the Cisco  Identity Services Engine (ISE) can help. With this all-in-one enterprise  policy control  platform, you can reliably enforce compliance, enhance  infrastructure security, and simplify service operations.

For more detail you can see the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5712/ps11637/ps11195/data_sheet_c78-656174.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card