cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Connected but getting No Internet Access

mgerguis
Level 1
Level 1

We have several Cisco AP 2802i configured with one AP as controller managing the other AP's, with 2 VLan's, 1st for office use, 2nd for Guest access.

All was working fine for several months, then began to see complaints that though WiFi connection is made  "no internet access" message show & nothing works for 5-10 minutes then some time it start working on its own other keeps until restart AP / PC or go with wired connection instead.

We tried to troubleshoot but couldn't figure cause thus at one point went ahead & reset the configuration for all AP's & re-configured again but without VLAN's, unfortunately still problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated as running out of ideas, noting same setup in another office is working okay but with AP1832i instead of AP2802i.

23 Replies 23

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this happening to all clients at the same time?

I would be when its in a fail state SSH to the WLC (the management IP of the mobility Express controller) and confirm that it is online.

I would recommend doing a debug client <mac address> and adding that output to the post.

What version are you running on the mobility express controller?

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your input, please see my reply

Is this happening to all clients at the same time?

Nope, clients already connected keep working, while new connection face this issue

I would be when its in a fail state SSH to the WLC (the management IP of the mobility Express controller) and confirm that it is online.

as mentioned above, other connections keep working, also it says connected for new connection but no internet or Lan resource access

I would recommend doing a debug client <mac address> and adding that output to the post.

tried a couple of times but no output may be because for now its working okay, will try again later once I get a complaint from one of the users

What version are you running on the mobility express controller?

version is 8.3.112.0

That is quite a bad software version for mobility express. I suggest you upgrade to either 8.5.140.0 or the brand new 8.8.120.0.

I have the same problem.

Did upgrading the version of mobility express fix your problem.

GuximThaci8111
Level 1
Level 1

I've been having the same problem, in different days of the week, at least once or twice a week before upgrading to a newer version of cisco mobility express 1830 series. I upgraded from 8.1.x.x to 8.8.125.0 and now I'm facing the same problems but only on laptops connected to the network. On mobile devices the network works perfect, android and ios, and this is driving me mad because i can't find any solution, and dont know how to troubleshot it anymore. On the laptops it says that you are connected and have internet access but when you try to go to a website from any browser, it says that you are not connected.

Any new idea or help would be very much apriciated.  

p.s. The problem goes on for only 10 to 15 min tops, but still is anyoning.  

Could be a DHCP or client driver issue (if all laptops use the same image or network adapter).
Does an affected laptop have a valid ip configuration?

We have like a open space here, mostly people working on coworking space,
and events happen daily. Maximum of 200 clients daily.
The Wifi has a different vlan, and I use a win server as a dhcp serve.
We have 17 AP all around the place, which are placed in locations that a
cisco engineer chose, acording to the building plan.

To answer your questions, every affected laptop has a valid IP, and its not
a driver problem, because it happens to apple llaptops and other windows
and linux based to.

Ok, that's good to know.
Could you login via SSH to the Master AP and issue "show client detail macaddressofcurrentlynotworkingclient". It's important to enter the command while it's not working for the client.
If you have one where it happens a lot, enter "debug client heremacaddressofclient" and share the output and time when the outage happens.

Hi,

I have an exactly same problem as well but my wireless environment is using wireless controller 3504 with recently update firmware 8.10.142.

i have 3 SSID with the 2 SSID DHCP are using wireless controller DHCP itself and another 1  Guest SSID is using the DHCP at Fortinet Firewall but all the SSID have the same problem on new machine/laptop and laptop been joined before but away from controller for some days will have such problem which joined the particular SSID and get "limited" sign, is very hard for to confirm this is the cisco wireless dhcp issue because another Guest SSID DHCP server is located at Fortinet which i think unlikely 2 DHCP Servers having the issue.

May i know if this problem been solved by some one?

Thanks

Does the limited icon disappear after some ~30 seconds?
You might need to do a wireshark on an affected client, to see if it actually requests an address by DHCP or not and if it gets the correct answer.
Also, make sure that "DHCP Required" is disabled on the SSID, this could also cause such issues in some cases.

Does the limited icon disappear after some ~30 seconds?

Answer : No, I have to give a few times attempt and maybe for luck sometime it may joined with ip address obtained.

I did capture the debug from controller "debug client MACXXXX", it seem like the relay doesn't work could some one help me to look on it.

Another attachment file "Work fine laptop debug capture" was the debug output i capture from the working fine laptop for comparison purpose.

Thanks

Based on the WLC Debug Analyzer https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer/ the DHCP server doesn't reply:

https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer/

Are both clients here connected to the same SSID and do both get the same VLAN assigned by the WLC/Radius?

Yes both get same SSID and same Vlan assigned. I'm wonder if the Firmware cause the problem, the firmware using now is 8.10.142 and I found one resolved Caveat which very similar scenario.

Try some basic troubleshooting.  Windows devices would detect if there is a duplicate mac address.  Are you able to reach local resources?  Have you checked your NAT configuration and verified any translations?  You have issues with any wired devices or wired devices on that same vlan you have issues with?  Nothing has changes before you started experiencing this issue?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card