Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi platform stress tool ?

TrickTrick
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We have a central site and a remote one that is very rarely visited, and reserved only for big events, For corporate wifi users the authentication goes through the active directory which is hosted in the HQ, sometimes some authentication issues for AD users occur for no apparent reason and they cannot log in and browse. when switching to local authentication (WPA2 or whatever) in the local WLC it works well without any problem

Is there any latency or timeout values that should be considered?, since the solution works good sometimes and sometimes not

In the other hand, we would like to simulate 400 users or so, connected at the same time in the wireless infrastructure of that site, before events to make sure that everything will work as intended and prevent surprises

Thank you in advance and best regards

Best regards

7 Replies 7

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming you have a classic WLC with AirOS, go to Security -> Advanced EAP. Here are the configured times for the authentication. 

Info about those timers: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/eap-timers-on-wireless-lan-controllers/ta-p/3122477

But I'd expect no issues here, assuming the link is fast enough and latency low enough. 

For why the authentication currently fails, it could be a plethora of reasons. From a software bug on the wlc to a client driver issue or even a radius server issue. A debug client macaddressofclient output might help, if you can replicate the issue.

THank you for your reply, I will take a a look at these

I’m not understanding the issue. Is it when AD users go to the remote site or also in the local site? Are you using eap-tls or PEAP? What radius server are you using and what do you see in the logs?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, 

sorry for the late answer.

honestly I have no control over the platform for now, I'm just looking for tools because the client described his issue as I did in this thread

The issue happens when users go to the remote site and try to log in through the AD in the HQ

Stress test tools are not meant for what you are trying to do. You have some radius issues it seems. Stress tools are more for manufacturers to simulate many different connections so they can get data. These tools are very expensive and not meant for few uses here and there.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you scott, I'll definitely check that

Do you think that Latency or timeout values could be an issue in such case , because sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Thank you in advance

Clients debugs on the WLC should help for this. Also check the logs of the Radius, maybe you see some error messages there. Who knows, maybe there is one server not correctly configured on the WLC, or maybe a routing/firewall issue between the WLC and Radius. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card