Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi signal strength in Smartphones

Nithin Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have deployed some cisco 2602-E access points in one of our clients place.

The signal strength found in the laptops is very good, but the signal strength found in the smartphones is very weak and its fluctuating.

What is the issue with this and is there any way to resolve this problem.?

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

NIthin.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

but the signal strength found in the smartphones is very weak and its fluctuating.

Depends on what radio bands they are using. 

This will also depend on what antenna you are using for your APs. 

At the end of the day, the decision to associate to which AP lies squarely on the client.  It is possible that the Smartphone could be associating to the FURTHEST AP and the laptop is associated to a closer AP.

Hi Leo,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I do know that laptops and smartphones are desgined differently so as to minimise the power consumption.

Here we are using 2.4GHz 2 dBi / 5GHz 4 dBi Swivel Dipole Antennas (4 nos for an AP).

How does a smartphone with low power try to associate with a farther AP and not try to connect to the nearer AP ..??

Please do give some suggestions.

Regards,
Nithin.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Leo here... There are too many variables. Also, laptop wifi cards and phones are two different animals. I wouldn't really compare the two at all. Is there an issue with connectivity or is it just because users are wanting to look at their signal? I would worry more about if the laptop users where having issues connecting or having port signal, because this is easier to diagnose.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

The connectivity is fine as we have observed good signal strengths.

But we have observed fluctuations in the signals. What could be a possible reason for the fluctuations..??

The feedbacks that we have got from the users is that - they are receiving good signals in their laptops, but not in their smartphones.

The users complain in general, telling that the wifi connectivity is not good, even though its better in their laptops.

Please do help.

Regards,

Nithin.

The feedbacks that we have got from the users is that - they are receiving good signals in their laptops, but not in their smartphones.

The variables still haven't changed. 

What radios are they getting?  What signal strength do you see (from the AP)? 

Hi Leo,

They get the b/g/n radios.

We observed power levels in the range of 1 to 4.

We observed power levels in the range of 1 to 4.

1 to 4 out of?  Out of 5?  Out of 6?  Out of 10? 

They get the b/g/n radios.

And did someone check for the presence of co-channel interferrence?

wel the variable are too many to determin the exact cause of signal fluctuations i would suggest try any wifi signal scanning tools where this is happening it will help you narrow down the issue

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nithin,

Like everyone mentioned, there are too many variables. You need to go out onsite where these users are complaining and see for yourself. Can be that they are not near an AP and are bouncing around. If you really want to figure this out, you will need to go onsite and test.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card