Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi Time Restriction

Huan NG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have been curious on how we are able to limit a Wifi access time of users. For example, a guest user is only allowed to access Wifi for 2 hours. I'd also like to know about setting up one-time Wifi password.

Is the combination of Cisco WLC and Radius Server enough & capable of doing this? or it is actually required more resources?

Could any one who has had these kinds of settings done before please share me some insights?

I'm actually self-studying CCNA Wireless but don't mind going beyond its topics.

Regards

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes its possible with WLC and cisco ISE combination.

Go through this post:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/how-to-limit-guest-access-to-1-hour-within-a-24-hour-period/m-p/3567859#M538862

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank Sandeep for sharing a link and I would look into this.

Another question if you don't mind, does ISE also support one-time wifi password setup?

I was searching for this but got no luck.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What you have to look at first is why would you want to do this? If you were the guest user and you got dropped while working, you would not be happy. To reconnect every 2 hours or even more than once a day is not a good user experience. I personally would rather connect to another open ssid or tether off my phone’s hotspot. I say once a day is probably the minimal amount of time you want a user to login.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I completely agree with you that limiting wifi access time to 2 hours every session doesn't seem practical. However it is just an example for my main question regarding what combination of hardware or software resources (such as WLC, ISE, Radius Server, etc) which is capable of fulfilling my requirements like time restriction, one-time password and so on.

Basically these are some of tasks that I'm planning to do in my lab enviroment. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card