cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a 2602 AP running 7.4.121.0 register/upgrade on a WLC running 8.5.140.0 ?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

I am planning to re-use a bunch of AIR-CAP2602E/I APs that are registered to a 2504 controller running ancient code 7.4.121.0 - there is a new 3504 controller running 8.5.140.0 and the idea was to migrate the APs over the new controller.

This is not a WLC upgrade, since the 2504 will be decommissioned once all the 2600 APs are migrated off.

My question is whether it would work to swing the APs across to the new controller and have the APs start an upgrade?

The leap from 7.4 to 8.5 is pretty big and I was hoping to avoid upgrading the 2504 (with intermediate steps and FUS upgrade etc.) just to avoid bricking the APs in the process?

Any advice appreciated.

regards

Arne

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well that is a big jump and many would upgrade because you never know if that jump will cause issues also with ap’s. Like I said, move one and see. I personally would of upgraded the 2504 to the same version and setup mobility and test migration, but that one way of doing it, doesn’t mean that what you are doing will not work. I know with the new 9800’s you can’t just point the ap to the 9800, the ap has to be on ascertain code which again comes from the controller code.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

8.5.X.X still supports the 2600.

NOTE:  Do not forget to load the AP Suppllementary Bundle.

Hi @Leo Laohoo  - yes the 2600 is still supported - but I was not planning on upgrading the 2504 on which these APs are connected. I was planning to change the controller IP of the APs to the new 3504 controller. 

How do I load the AP Supplementary Bundle, and what is this used for?

thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well you should look at the wlc upgrade path. If there is an intermediate step upgrade, then that is what prop alt needs to happen. You can always test with one ap and see. If it fails, you can try to upload a new rcv image. If it works, then you have your answer.
-Scott

@Scott Fella - ha ha - yes - trial and error. That much was already clear to me. There is an upgrade path - but that speaks to the WLC upgrade, and not at all about what happens when you move APs from one WLC to another WLC on another release.

I was hoping that someone had already been through this. I asked someone outside the forum and they reckon that changing the AP's IP address to the new controller is all that's needed. But I have zero proof of that ... - I will be doing all this remotely and not able to connect serial cables for any type of disaster recovery.

Well that is a big jump and many would upgrade because you never know if that jump will cause issues also with ap’s. Like I said, move one and see. I personally would of upgraded the 2504 to the same version and setup mobility and test migration, but that one way of doing it, doesn’t mean that what you are doing will not work. I know with the new 9800’s you can’t just point the ap to the 9800, the ap has to be on ascertain code which again comes from the controller code.
-Scott

Hey @Scott Fella 

I took the leap of faith yesterday and swung one of the 2602I APs on 7.4.121.0 over to the WLC on 8.5 code.

I literally configured the IP address and WLC name into the HA portion of the AP and then reset the AP. (as a precaution, I also entered the old WLC as the Secondary choice)

It worked flawlessly. AP reset, downloaded new AP code, AP reset again and then registration success on the new WLC. WHAT A RELIEF! Now I can do the rest of the APs. No need to upgrade the old 2504 controller! PHEW.

Not something you get to do every day - but good to keep in mind. 

Haha... it always best to test and get comfortable in your change. Knowing exactly what you want to do also helps in realizing what might be risks and how to recover from those risk.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card