cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless access point advice for SMB (5 users)

localgareth
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small site, 12 employees, five of whom will need wireless access to the LAN.

This site has an 877 (not 877W) and so I need a wireless access point.

I've been looking at the Cisco Aironet 1130AG. Can anyone make a recommendation, something that will be the same or similar to configure as wireless services on the 800 series wireless routers.

There is no domain or radius server, so any user authentication will need to be handled by the AP.

Any useful information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

You're on the right track. The 1131AG is a great platform for small offices. It has built in antennas and is not offensive looking when mounted to the ceiling. Running a single 1131AG would allow you to run RADIUS locally on the AP so you could still use EAP security types such as EAP-FAST with WPA2.

Once you go to deploy, there are plenty of us here on the forum that can help if you run into config gotchas.

Of course I'll include the standard disclaimer that your coverage might vary based on the building construction, so you could need multiple APs to cover enough area. If certain coverage is absolutely mandatory, you should consider a site-survey beforehand.

-Eric

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

You're on the right track. The 1131AG is a great platform for small offices. It has built in antennas and is not offensive looking when mounted to the ceiling. Running a single 1131AG would allow you to run RADIUS locally on the AP so you could still use EAP security types such as EAP-FAST with WPA2.

Once you go to deploy, there are plenty of us here on the forum that can help if you run into config gotchas.

Of course I'll include the standard disclaimer that your coverage might vary based on the building construction, so you could need multiple APs to cover enough area. If certain coverage is absolutely mandatory, you should consider a site-survey beforehand.

-Eric

Hi Eric

Thanks for that information. The office is pretty small, and there are no partitions, so hopefully one AP will be fine.

I didn't know I could RADIUS locally on the AP, so that is good to know.

Many thanks

Gareth

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card