cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless AP Power Levels and Global Assignments question

arune00
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to figure out some wireless issues in a school environment, have multiple Cisco AP's (mainly 9120's) throughout the school campus. Currently diagnosing coverage and potential interference associated with the AP's themselves among other wifi enabled devices. My question is regard to AP power settings. All AP's across the district (multiple locations) are set to Global Assignment with regards to power levels, I believe it checks every 600secs. Every other location has power levels ranging from 1-8....some at 2, 3, 4, etc. The site I'm trying to diagnose has power levels set at either 1 or 6....nothing else....ever, at least from what I've seen. Does this seem odd to anyone else? Any tips or anything I can read up on further? Thanks everyone!

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@arune00 wrote:
mainly 9120's

Are there any 2800/3800/4800/1560/IW6300?

Unless I get proof that the radios need to be adjusted, I'd leave those settings in their default state.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

> Any tips or anything I can read up on further?

You don't mention controller model or software version so AireOS 8.10 and IOS-XE 17.6:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/radio_resource_management.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_rrm_c9800.html

Rahul Tyagi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Arune,

Please try to assign power level of AP's 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz manually from Configuration > Wireless > Access points > 5 Ghz Radio and 2.4 Ghz Radio at controller. Power level depends on the distance of APs and if APs are installed in symmetry then it is possible that power level through global comes in symmetry. Please try to assign power level manually and see what other APs do after this assignment. Please share the outcome.

Good Luck

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would first check if the AP power levels are setup manually by the WLC, if it is done for a valid reason and validated by  a post deployment RF survey it is better to leave it as it is. If it is not (mostly the case) I would suggest remove the manual power assignments and let RRM do its magic. RRM to do the magic you need to configure it properly as well such as setting the DCA timers, channel widths, Max and min TPC levels etc. Us sitting somewhere else will not be able to provide you much recommendations as  this needs hands on site, you need to validate after the changes, you need to fine tune certain parameters after the changes depending on the post change survey etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card