Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Authentication and Windows 8

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Hoping someone in the forum has advise regarding Cisco WLC authentication and Windows 8.  We use WPA-TKIP, WPA2-AES and are starting to have end users with tablets running windows 8 that can't connect to our private network but can connect to our guest network which does not require authentication.

I am going to do some more checking, was just wondering if anyone on the forum has had this issue with windows 8 and wireless?  We have Cisco 1130 and 1142N APs in the locations where this is happening.

If you have, please let me know what you did to resolve it.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

8 Replies 8

Michael Burk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vicky,

My guess is your problem is authentication related, possibly certifiercates?

I think a little more information might help.

Are the Win8 clients connecting with PSK or 802.1x authentication?

If PSK: can you attach the output of a "debug client " from the CLI of your WLC?

If 802.1x: Can you attach the above and let us know what Radius server you are using and attach any associated logs of the failure?

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

What software version you using on controller? Or are these stand alone APs?

There's a controller OS fix to take care of that issue. I had to go to 7.2.111.3 to get the fix that allowed my Win 8 clients to connect.

Anything that version and newer has the windows 8 authentication bug fix in it.

If these are stand alone, I'm not sure what software version has the fix in it.

Hi Vicky,

I have hit the exact same issue today. I have all sorts of devices including a few Win8 working fine with WLC controllers. There 2 pcs i have come across just today which do not want to connect to WPA2-AES SSID.

I have been looking into this and here is the issue which Cisco recommends upgrade to WLC

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27213

Which WLC version do you have ?

Hope this helps

Shaheen

umar bhatti
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue i thunk i have to upgrdae my Wlc software as well.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Yes you doing you have Windows 8 devices. The only other fix is to install a windows 7 driver on the windows 8 devices for the wireless card. The link that was posted will explain which code has the fix for Windows 8.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

Thank you for the input.  Cisco TAC has confirmed we will need to upgrade all of our Cisco WLC's to 7.3 or 7.4  from our current release 6.0.199.4 in order to get the new Windows 8 devices to authenticate.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Rgds,

Vicky

Make sure you read the release not on the upgrade because ruin will need to do an incremental and also the FUS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You mentioned you were running both WPA-TKIP and WPA2-AES (should prbably reconsider that).  In the interim, if you don't absolutely need to run WPA2/AES, turn it off and run on WPA/TKIP....specific issue with AES and compliance. Not sure how difficult your upgrade from 6 will be  //art

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card