Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN controller 2504 and cisco 1562D waps

Hotline101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to configure 2 Cisco 1562D Waps as Flex+Bridge Mode but cannot see the option for Flex+Bridge.

Is there anything I need to do to see this option.

Currently the two Waps are MeshAP waps in Bridge mode.

Do I need to change one to RootAP to see the option.

I can see a Flexconnect option.

I am trying to configure the two outdoor waps as a bridge and to keep working if the WLC 2504 goes down.

Regards

Hotline

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can only set the mesh ap in either FlexConnect or Bridge mode (RAP or MAP). So when you do set the mesh AP to Bridge, yes you will loose the FlexConnect setting. Bridge mode is when you want to do true mesh.

More info here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/flexconnect.html

As per my knowledge: To use this feature you need to have both the RAP and MAP configured with Flex + bridge mode.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

So I would need to configure a RAP and a MAP or two RAPs and would the option then appear in the settings or would I need to select Flexconnect mode for both and then Flex+Bridge mode?

Another question if you can help me is If I have a RAP and MAP in bridge mode and lose connection to the WLC 2504 but have a spare DHCP server and internet connection would the bridge keep working or would it stop working until the controller comes back online.

I am just trying to understand the best option for myself to setup the WAPS across two buildings

You must configure one as RAP and other as MAP.

1. Covert both APs to Flex+Bridge mode

2. Then you should configure role as RAP and a MAP 

Answer to your 2nd question:

Fault Tolerant Resilient Mode enables an AP to continue bridging traffic when the connection to the CAPWAP controller is lost. Both mesh and non-mesh root APs continue to bridge traffic. A child mesh AP (MAP) maintains its link to a parent AP and continues to bridge traffic till the parent link is lost. A child mesh AP cannot establish a new parent or child link till it reconnects to the CAPWAP controller. Existing wireless clients on the locally switching WLAN can stay connected with their AP in this mode. Their traffic will continue to flow through the Mesh and wired network. No new or disconnected wireless client can associate to the Mesh AP in this mode.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

So then my understanding would be that I can set the two access points in Bridge mode and set one to RootAP and the other to a MeshAP and if the controller goes down then they will continue to bridge traffic across the network.

Would it be correct in saying I would not have to set Flexconnect or Flex+bridge mode to continue bridging traffic when the controller goes down?

Regards

Hotline

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card