Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN is not discoverable

Christian81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I hope someone can help me. I try to configure the AP AIR-AP1852E-E-K9 without a WLC.
Mobility Express is installed on the device. The hole WLAN only consits of this AP.
I configured the AP via the provisioning WLAN. After the configuration has been saved I see for a short time the
configured WLAN (before the restart of the AP). After the restart is finsihed, the configured WLAN is not available
and the LED is blinking red. The lldp of the switch where the AP is connected shows "bridge" as the capability.
This explains why the WLAN is not discoverable. Why is the AP in the bridge mode after the initial connfiguration
and how can I change it?

Thanks for your support!

18 Replies 18

I tried different configurations.

Access port:

interface GigabitEthernet 1/3
loop-protect action shutdown log
no loop-protect tx-mode
switchport access vlan 5
no spanning-tree
speed auto 10 100 1000

And trunk port:

interface GigabitEthernet 1/3
loop-protect action shutdown log
no loop-protect tx-mode
switchport trunk native vlan 5
switchport mode trunk
no spanning-tree
speed auto 10 100 1000

Christian81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sandeep,
do you have any other ideas?
Or does anyone else have an idea?

Christian81
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is solved. You have to assign the AP (not the WLC) an IP address because there is no DHCP.
In the console you can check if the ap has an ip address (show ip inter brief). "wired0" must have an ip. With the command "capwap ap ip <ip address> <subnet> <gateway>" you can assign the ip.

Ok that makes sense.  DHCP on the LAN is always a fundamental requirement/assumption.  Static IPs is not Cisco best practice but obviously if you only have 1 AP then it is feasible to do it that way. Since you are not providing DHCP for the AP (which was not clear from your original post) then you need to provide static IP configuration.  It's normal recovery mechanism for the AP to reboot in this scenario because it can't discover the WLC:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/119286-lap-notjoin-wlc-tshoot.html#anc4

FYI: it is possible to run DHCP server on ME but you must follow the Site Survey instructions to enable it:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8_chapter_0101.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card