Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2106 question

Hello,

What is the recomended way to connect  5 APs 1242 to a wlc 2106?

Connect directly the 5 APs to the wlc and use one port for the management interface and connection to the switch or to connect the APs to a switch and use one connection for the wlc?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use a switch.

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

use a switch as Leo said. that is a much better approach. you can also read this for extra info: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13960

Cheers

Serge

Only one port (10/100mbps) for connection between WLC and switch will be a bottleneck??

What's the solution for this according that 2106 doesn't support LAG?

i guess the WLC that we are looking into supports only 6 APs i guess.. so i dont think there will be a bottle neck..also bottle neck depends on the configuration as well.. i have not seen any bottle neck issue till now..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

As you said, one port between wlc and switch and no lag support. It is still fair for the 2106 scalability. LAG is supported on higher range WLCs.

Depends on the AP.

One FastEthernet connection to the switch doens't "really" create a bottleneck.  Your AP might.  If you, say, you have 1130 or older then I'd say no significant bottleneck because the APs are also FastEthernet.

If you use the newer ones, like the 1250 and newer, which has GigEthernet and/or higher throughput (if you enable 802.11n) the yes.  The switch AND the WLC 2100 are both the bottleneck.

So what is the best solution if i connect 1142 Aps and enable 802.11n?

So what is the best solution if i connect 1142 Aps and enable 802.11n?

I'd look for a 4400 (at least).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card