Replies

WLC 2504 Permanent but Inactive Licenses

Electronic20
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

I have a WLC 2504 and it has the following licenses:

Electronic20_0-1691213318190.png

I currently have 25 APs installed but I want to add an additional 15 APs.

The license of 25 APs is used, but in the image it can be seen that I have 2 licenses plus one of 15 APs and another of 20 APs but they are inactive status. How can I activate these licenses?

To have a total of 60 AP licenses.

From there another query arises, are the licenses cumulative with respect to the APs?

I hope your kind help with this case.

13 Replies 13

Hi @Electronic20 

Click on the inactive license and change the priority.  It will ask you to accept the EULA . You may need to reload the wlc.

And Yes, license is cumulative

hello @Flavio Miranda , 

In the image that I show you can see 3 "base-ap-count" licenses and they all have the same "medium" priority, the issue is that only the 25 licenses are working, but not the remaining 2 licenses of 15 AP and 20 AP.

Do what you told me but the three licenses have the same name "base-ap-count" and that is why I understand that it only accepts one license.

How could I activate the other licenses so that it adds up to 60AP or, in any case, if you have, could you share the other type of procedure with me?

It´s been some time now but from what I remember, when you get on the license link and change the license priority, you receive a warning asking to accpept the EULA and by doing so, you activate the license. Did you try that?

Click on the License link and share the here  please.

Client on the red arrow and share here. Let me see what is inside.

FlavioMiranda_0-1691448539637.png

Hello,

This is what I get when I enter the 20AP base-ap-count license, the same happens with the 15 AP base-ap-count license, but it cannot be modified via the web, the fields to execute the changes are disabled.

Electronic20_0-1691504726678.png

But it can be done by cli, using this command:

license modify priority base-ap-count "high or low"

You only have the option of high or low.

But I only see one license being activated.

You need to reload the WLC after that. Did you?

Yes, apply the reload.

Por cli ejecute este comando:

Electronic20_0-1691506402566.png

I put yes and restart.

If you observe, it gives me the base-ap-count license of 75AP, but it is for evaluation for 3 months.
the other 3 remaining licenses have the same name base-ap-count

Since they have the same name base-ap-count, I understand that the WLC activates a single license? Or how could I activate the licenses simultaneously if I have 4 licenses with the same name base-ap-count?

Per license. What dont make sense to me is why the license dont get activated.

Do you have the license files? Can you try to reinstall?

Hi, @Flavio Miranda 

The licenses were acquired many years ago by the old administrator, I don't have that file.

The only option would be to load the license again?

I am not sure. Honestly.  Thats would be an attempt.  Another alternative, is call Cisco.

I already answered this below - so you can keep going round in circles.

Either buy adder licenses or maybe you can persuade Cisco licensing to convert some of the base licenses to adders but it depends how they were sold.  They might have been sold as upgrades to the previous level. Either way you need to talk to your Cisco account manager and/or Cisco licensing team. Whoever did those old licenses seems to have bought new base licenses each time instead of buying adder licenses!

Normally the base license is bought with the WLC (they had 5/15/25/50 base SKUs) and any increase after that is done with adder licenses.

Hi @Rich R , Thank you for your contribution, I will make your recommendations

Hi @Flavio Miranda , Thanks for the contribution, I will try to locate the licenses.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'm not an expert on the subject and the documentation is rubbish but I think the 2504 can only use 1 base AP count license. I don't think you can accumulate those base licenses. Additional APs must be added by using the AP adder licenses:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/2500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-645111.html

Additive Capacity Upgrade Licenses

Tables 5 and 6 summarize additive capacity upgrade licenses that are available for the Cisco 2500 Series.

Table 5.       Ordering Information for Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controllers: Access Point Adder Licenses (e-Delivery PAKs)

Part Number

Description

SWSS 8x5xNBD

L-LIC-CT2504-UPG

Primary upgrade SKU: Pick any number or combination of the following options under this SKU to upgrade one or many controllers under one product authorization key

CON-ECMU-LCT25UP

L-LIC-CT2504-1A

1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (e-Delivery)

CON-ECMU-LICCT2504

L-LIC-CT2504-5A

5 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (e-Delivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT255A

L-LIC-CT2504-25A

25 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (e-Delivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT2525A

Table 6.       Ordering Information for Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controllers: Access Point Adder Licenses (Paper PAKs)

Part Number

Description

SWSS 8x5xNBD

LIC-CT2504-UPG

Primary upgrade SKU: Pick any number or combination of the following options under this SKU to upgrade one or many controllers under one product authorization key

CON-ECMU-LCT25UP

LIC-CT2504-1A

1 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (Paper Certificate - U.S. Mail)

CON-ECMU-LICCT2504

LIC-CT2504-5A

5 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (Paper Certificate - U.S. Mail)

CON-ECMU-LCT255A

LIC-CT2504-25A

25 Access Point Adder License for Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller (Paper Certificate - U.S. Mail)

CON-ECMU-LCT2525A

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card