Helpful
Replies

WLC 5500 Series

mnice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you are well,

I would like to add access points on my 5500 series controller, but the equipment is end of life. is it possible to get a new license for my new access points or do i have to buy a new controller.

Current equipment (5500 Series) includes 46 cisco access points.

Thanks in advance.

16 Replies 16

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't think you can still buy  a license or licenses for the 5500 series ; but for the best you should be going for the 9800 based platforms ; you  can already download the virtual 9800 for free (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thx Marce for your return and informations.

When you say free = perpertual (no delays) otherwise this aplliance supports all the old and new ap (No end of life) models from entry-level product to high-end, including indoor and outdoor ?

Thanks in advance for your return.

- For AP and controller compatibility info's go here :
                 https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

The 9800 virtual controller can initially be setup and deployed without licenses but each AP will need an AIR DNA License to be able to use (join) the controller.
 Also have a look at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-ser-wirel-faq-ctp-en.html           and especially Table 1

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Ok marce thx.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest to contact SE and negotiate for the License  by mentioning you looking to Upgrade from OLD WLC and new Cat 9800 and you will be replacing OLD AP and buying additional AP for the future requirement - so they may offer you better prices. (offering discount).

When Migrating OLD AP depends on modell - Cisco may offer or migrate same license to Cat 9K AP - check with SE.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ok I'll contact SE and confirm the information

Thx again.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What model APs do you have on the 5500 series WLC. They may be able to be migrated to a 9800 WLC
Otherwise recommend contacting either your Cisco SE or you Cisco Partner to ask about if you can still purchase licenses for the 5500. As mentioned best to say planning upgrade in future as they will probably try talk you into that anyway

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Haydn,

Thx for your return and information.

I think I'll contact the SE for more information.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I've just checked and the 5508 AP licenses are still orderable as per the datasheet:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-521631.html

Table 5.       Ordering Information for Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers Additive Capacity Licenses (e-Delivery Product Authorization Keys [PAKs])

Part Number

Product Description

SWSS Service 8x5xNBD

e-License

L-LIC-CT5508-UPG

Primary upgrade SKU: Pick any number or combination of the following options under this SKU to upgrade one or many controllers under one product authorization key

CON-SNT-LCTUPG

L-LIC-CT5508-5A

5 AP Adder License for the 5508 Controller (eDelivery)

CON-ECMU-LICCT55A

L-LIC-CT5508-25A

25 AP Adder License for the 5508 Controller (eDelivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT25A

L-LIC-CT5508-50A

50 AP Adder License for the 5508 Controller (eDelivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT50A

L-LIC-CT5508-100A

100 AP Adder License for the 5508 Controller (eDelivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT100A

L-LIC-CT5508-250A

250 AP Adder License for the 5508 Controller (eDelivery)

CON-ECMU-LCT250A

According to the system it is mandatory to buy Software Support Service with those licences though (even though it's end of support!) so as the others have said it may be better to start looking at upgrading to 9800 WLC.  Every new AP you buy will come with the DNA license by default (although there is an opt-out option so check) and for any old AP you migrate from 5508 you will need to buy AIR-DNA with AIR-DNA-A (Advantage) or AIR-DNA-E (Essentials) licenses for each AP.

The AIR-DNA-A/E licenses come with a AIR-DNA-NWSTACK-A/E perpetual license (no expiry) and a DNA term license (3/5/7 years) which expires after the term.  If you need to use any DNA features (like Spaces or DNA/Catalyst Centre) then the DNA license is needed but expires after the term.  Then at that point if you don't need DNA features you change the WLC license to network stack only and reload:
license air level air-network-essentials
or
license air level air-network-advantage
then it will keep working but without the DNA feature support.

Thx all and last question,

Regarding licenses, they are only related to the WLC. This means that if I buy a new WLC, I have to request licenses for the number of my APs. And if I choose the free WLC, I still have to purchase licenses based on the number of my APs.

Are the licenses of WLC perpetual?

Do AP licenses have any relationship with the WLC? mean that AP licenses can be used to integrate them into the WLC for MGMT ? or need to buy licence for WLC even have licensed AP ?

Thx all inadvance.

With 9800 there is no license for the WLC itself - all you do is set the licensing level on the WLC which then determines what type of license it will request for each AP.  (DNA/network essential or DNA/network advantage)
The licenses are AP licenses and they use smart licensing so the WLC requests a smart licence for each AP which joins the WLC.
The licenses are not tied to a specific AP so you can add and remove APs as long as you stay within your total number of AP licenses in smart licensing (again not specific to a WLC).

Hello Rich,

Thx a lot for your return.

So the licenses I'm going to request will only be related to the WLC ? 

And no matter what type of AP I buy, of course compatible with the WLC 9800, for example.

Regards.

So the licenses I'm going to request will only be related to the WLC ? 
NO! The licenses are for the APs

And no matter what type of AP I buy, of course compatible with the WLC 9800
Correct but you need to decide on whether you will be using Essentials or Advantage and buy the corresponding licenses.  You cannot mix and match - once you set the licensing level on the WLC all the APs must use the same license Essentials or Advantage.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215635-licensing-on-9800-wireless-lan-controlle.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-ser-wirel-faq-ctp-en.html#CiscoCatalyst9800SeriesWirelessControllerlicensing

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card