Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 and IPv6 strange problem

g.peart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I recently migrated APs from a 4400 to 5508 which had the 7.4 code and encountered an issue that I haven't

see before, in short the APs would never join the 5508 even when the selction rules said it should.

The AP would get a discovery response from both controllers and even though the 4400 had 98 APs attached

and the 5508 just 1 and a factory reset was made on the AP, it would always join the 4400.

A packet capture showed that the first CAPWAP address from the 5508 was always an IPv6 whilst the 4400

always sent IPv4 CAPWAP control adressess, disabling the global IPv6 option on the 5508 ensured that the the first CAPWAP control

address was now an IPv4 and the AP then happily joined the controller, IPv6 addresses were still showing up in the discovery responses

but since it was no longer the first one in the packet the AP didn't mind.

Anyone else seen this kind of behaviour before ?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never seen that issue:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am doing some follow-up work for the client, so will investigate a bit more, one more thing

I wanted to add, don't do a FUS upgrade remotely, sometimes the 5508 needs a cold reboot

to come back to life, not good if it's a long way away.

That is weird because I have done many remotely with console access also. The image takes 35-40 minutes to complete so if you reboot the WLC within that time period, the FUS didn't complete. It will seem like the WLC is down, but it truly is until it completes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card