Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 and LightWeight APs Deployment question

egua5261
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Can you please wit the following question in regards to the deployment of a new WLC and new LAPs,

I have configured and connected a 5508 WLC and 3500 series LAP.

LAG is enabled in the WLC and successfully connected to the neighboring switch (using etherchannel) and to the network.

The port-channel port is set to trunk mode obviously and certain vlan ids are currently allowed (3-5)

The management interface has this IP address 192.168.5.250/24

I created a WLAN with WLAN ID 3, Interface set to Management and say SSID test1

I have connected a new LAP to the network, which switchport interface is set to access mode and assigned with vlan id 3. The LAP is able to join the WLC successfully with an IP address, such as, 192.168.3.100 (assigned via DHCP).

When I try connecting a mobile client to the wireless LAN, it can successfully detect and connect to the WLAN, created in the WLC (test1) however it gets an IP address by DHCP, in the 192.168.5.0/24 network, which is the IP range of the management interface's IP address.

What can I do to get the clients connecting on network 192.168.3.0/24? I thought this would be the case since I allocated the WLAN Id of 3 in the WLAN test1 configuration and since the LAP switchport is set to access mode with vlan ID 3.

Cheers,

egua5261

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The WLAN ID has no effect with the VLAN ID. WLAN ID is just an identifier for the WLAN.

you said "Interface set to Management and say SSID test1" and here is your issue.

You set the interface of the WLAN to the management. So, the WLAN will be mapped to the VLAN to which the management interface is mapped to.

What you need to do is to create a dynamic interface with ip range in 192.168.3.0/24 and provide VLAN ID for that interface and assign your WLAN to this new interface. This way your clients will get an IP from this specified range.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The WLAN ID has no effect with the VLAN ID. WLAN ID is just an identifier for the WLAN.

you said "Interface set to Management and say SSID test1" and here is your issue.

You set the interface of the WLAN to the management. So, the WLAN will be mapped to the VLAN to which the management interface is mapped to.

What you need to do is to create a dynamic interface with ip range in 192.168.3.0/24 and provide VLAN ID for that interface and assign your WLAN to this new interface. This way your clients will get an IP from this specified range.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for your help that's exactly what I was missing. I got confused with the fact that in LAG mode there is only one logical channel and there is not need to configure multiple AP interfaces. I was under the impression that the management interface was passing traffic on multiple VLANs. Creating the dynamic interface with a VLAN id and IP on the corresponding range and then assigning the WLAN with that interface, enabled clients to get IPs allocated on that range.

Thanks for your help,

Much appreciated,

egua5261

Hi,

Glad that I was able to assist.

Greetings,

Amjad

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card